|START Conference Manager|
In March 2017, VITO launched ‘WatchItGrow’, an online platform (www.watchitgrow.be) which VITO and partners have setup for the Belgian potato industry in support of the sustainable growth of the potato production. The platform integrates EO-derived information, e.g. time series of different vegetation indices Sentinel-2 based ,commercial meteo data, UAV images and a yield prediction model to support the Belgian farmers in monitoring their fields and prodcution.
Users can display information available at VITO and from other providers allowing to:
- Assess the growth stage of the crop and the probable harvest date
- Assess the risk for production or quality losses by monitoring temperature, rain and soil moisture content of the field and the overall health status of the crop
- Map the spatial variability within the parcel
- Do yield predictions in the course of the season
The platform is built upon technology developed within the ESA-sponsored PROBA-V Mission Exploitation Platform (proba-v-mep.esa.int). VITO invested to extend this platform towards the WatchItGrow service, e.g. serving as a backend with processing of Sentinel-2 data into time series of different vegetation indices on the VITO Hadoop/Spark cluster in a scalable and fully operational way. These time series are stored in an Accumulo database and we use Geotrellis to expose RESTful Web services to perform the data analytics on the EO- and meteo- data to deliver user-tailored information on the dashboard. A WMTS viewing service offers full-resolution viewing of these high-resolution indices.
The WatchItGrow platform is currently only covering Belgium. To make the solution more scalable and to apply it as well on other crops, we are currently moving the processing and data analytics to the public cloud. This is done in several R&D projects, e.g.:
- In the ESA Food Security Thematic Exploitation Platform (TEP), which will start in spring 2017, VITO under the prime VISTA will bring the processing on Sentinel-2 on the German Collaborative Ground Segment to cover as well Germany, The Netherlands and some African countries. Furthermore more phenology related products will be added.
- In the H2020 NextGEOSS project, these processing chains will be integrated as on-demand processing services in the next generation of the GEOSS datahub.
The presentation will present the WatchItGrow service, the roadmap for data analytics and processing on cloud-based platforms and the interoperability aspects with other services inline with INSPIRE.
Topic Area: [1.11] Agriculture - forestry - aquaculture Abstract Type: Oral Presentation
Comments: Keyword: agriculture, crop monitoring, exploitation platform, data analytics, Sentinel-2, Proba-V, TEP, MEP
START Conference Manager (V2.61.0 - Rev. 4840)