European Commission logo
INSPIRE Community Forum

From source data to INSPIRE conformant GML datasets provided by means of View and Download services: EEA feasibility study

To what extent the most used software tools are able to provide and consume INSPIRE conformant data through View and Download services?

The results of an EEA feasibility study have been published on the Eionet.

Tests were performed on following data sources:

• Corine Land Cover Vector 2006 (huge number of small/medium size features –  complex INSPIRE data model)
  • Biogeographical Regions (small number of huge features – simple INSPIRE data model )
  • CDDA (INSPIRE PS extended data model).

For those of you attending the INSPIRE Conference in Barcellona, follow the oral presentation on the feasibility study on Thursday 29th  at 16:30 room H3.

• Paul van Genuchten

By Paul van Genuchten

Hi Stefania, great work, in a chat after your presentation I understood the EEA asked you to do this research in a setting typical at an implementing organisation, so without the help of the core software developers of the individual products. However, since the results are published now, it would be good to notify the core developers (geosolutions, camp2camp, latlong, idgis, esri inc) of this research, or create issues in the relevant github repositories, so they are aware of this research.

In your report http://projects.eionet.europa.eu/eea-inspire-activities/library/2016-study-inspire-services/2016_inspire_services_clc_deegree_geoserver/download/en/1/2016_INSPIRE_Services_CLC_Deegree_Geoserver.pdf?action=view section 4.1 related to the heap space error, did you try and increase the heap space in java? Also note that java 8 has improved heap space management, so the issue may not occur anymore.

Other comment is that you posted this in landcover-group, but this is probably also relevant in the interoperability group. Can a thread be in multiple groups?

• Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

By Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

Hi Stefania and Paul,

I agree. Great work which is really useful for software developers in order to help them in improving their software to meet the needs of INSPIRE and its implementators. A big thank you to EEA for funding this activity!

Many software developers have joined the LCLU cluster and many were probably following the presentations of Stefania at the INSPIRE Conference, but you're right that some of the core developers may not still be aware.

@ Stefania: Did you agree on how to raise awareness about the project to software developers? Or would you encourage us all to  be active in the dissimination?

@ Paul. The discussion topic has now been tagged and catogarised with the "cross-cluster" tag and the "interoperability" category, whcih both help in getting the visibility in other groups. We are at the moment thinking of other ways to better deal with these cross-thematic issues on the TC platform. We will keep you informed once we've come up with an agreement and solution.

• Stefania MORRONE

By Stefania MORRONE

Hi Paul,

thank you for your feedback ! 

You're right. It's time for core developers to get more involved. Some issues have already been reported indeed, but now that I had  the opportunity to discuss 'face to face' in Barcelona, I will take stock of results and come back to them with more detailed descriptions.

Regarding the heap space error, we increased the heap space in java (jdk 1.7.0_79) according to following command in the setenv.bat file:

set CATALINA_OPTS=-server -Xmx2048m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m 

Any suggestion on how to improve these parameters setting? 

Last but not least: the interoperability group question.

Works ongoing to create a 'cross-theme' cluster where cross-cutting implementation issues can be discussed in a more systematic way.

In the meanwhile, I will create an "implementation issues" page in Biodiversity cluster, and then notify the other clusters on the existence of this page. This way (hopefully) the discussion won't be fragmented into different clusters posts.

Stefania 

• Stefania MORRONE

By Stefania MORRONE

Hi Lena,

in my view, the more active we can be in the dissemination the better is. 

In Barcelona, I talked to open source as well as proprietary software developers, and my feeling is that  the greater the pressure they will receive from clients / communities, the greater their commitment in providing operative solutions.

Mostly, they complain about the lack of availability of test datasets and services that could help them in finding out what's ok and what conversely is still missing or not working properly in their software.

Therefore I think it's important we provide our examples of compliant files and report the issues encountered when trying to implement View and Download services for GML datasets.

I uploaded a subset of the LC GML file produced in the framework of the EEA feasibility study and obtained from transformation of Corine Land Cover 2006 data.

Stefania

• Kenneth BRAGG

Hi All

At Stefania's request we took a look accessing an INSPIRE WFS LandCover Service, specifically the LandCoverUnit feature type using ArcGIS 10.3's  Interoperability Extension. First of all thanks Stefania for providing a test WFS, services, this really helps!

Summary We can access all of the elements and their attributes in the LandCoverUnits theme using the Data Interoperability Extension in ArcGIS, but it is necessary to create a Spatial ETL Tool within in the extension to handle the complex elements. I made a 5 minute video on the process: http://screencast.com/t/AW0llc38z  I will also upload the ArcGIS Tool to the cluster shortly.

Details We had an initial challenge when trying to read this WFS LandCoverUnits theme by just using the Interoperability Connection in ArcCatalog.  The challenge is dealing with complex nested elements. For example a single LandCover unit can have multiple landCoverObservation elements and then a LandCoverObservation  can have multiple LandCoverObservation.mosaic elements.  In fact in the test service there is only one element at each level but because the schema allows for these complex elements the Interoperability Extension preserves this structure making it hard to view them as is in ArcGIS.

The Solution is to create a Spatial ETL Tool (also part of the Data Interoperability Extension for ArcGIS).  Within the tool we can flatten these complex elements so they can be handled in a more relational model.  The extension allows us to view the data at this point or write it out to any of the over 300 formats supported by the Data Interoperability extension for example ESRI File Geodatabase.  

Of course all of this is possible with FME itself on which the Interoperability Extension is based.

Hope this helps

Ken Bragg

Land Cover & Use

Land Cover & Use

Join this group to share your knowledge, learn and collaborate in solving issues related to the Land Cover and Land Use themes