European Commission logo
INSPIRE Community Forum

EF address element

Dear all,

a short post dedicated to ef:responsibleParty element in EF schema.

In particular EF adopted base2, ad and gn namespaces for archive address information (base2:address). All elements are mandatory (e.g. gn:language, gn:nativeness, gn:pronunciation, gn:spelling, etc.) but they are so difficult to provide.

base2:address element provides also the attribute psi:nil, but in this case cannot have character.

My question for the group is easily how to put in address in EF, without use this crazy schemas?

For example in SensorML the element address within sml:ResponsibleParty contains deliveryPoint, postalCode, city, and country.

Has anyone had the same problem?

Best regards

Alessandro

• Katharina SCHLEIDT

By Katharina SCHLEIDT

Dear Alessandro,

First off, to shift the glass from half-empty to half-full, we did manage to avoid the complexity of GN in the facility name by arguing that our EM-Facilities can also be mobile and this non-geographic (try putting an address on a satellite! ;) )

We're very much aware of the RelatedParty dilemma, and at least I'd welcome feedback from users requesting a simplification (Annex II & III are being discussed for simplification, but a great deal of this complexity stems from the underlying Annex I data models). If this type could be revisited, I'd also vote for upgrading to a featureType, so that we could reuse and reference (at least in the datasets I've been working on, the same handful of responsibles are repeated again and again and...)

But, from a handling perspective, it hasn't been as bad as I'd feared :) Most of the stuff that seems superfluous to us ends up as constants in the configuration file. At the end of the day, all you need to provide are the basic values as described by you above (example below):

• IndividualName
    • OrganisationName
    • City
    • Address
    • PostCode
    • Phone
    • URL

The rest I've come to see as necessary fluffy packaging and just get on with more interesting stuff!

:)

Kathi

<ef:responsibleParty>
        <base2:RelatedParty>
            <base2:individualName>
                <gmd:LocalisedCharacterString>IndividualName</gmd:LocalisedCharacterString>
            </base2:individualName>
            <base2:organisationName>
                <gmd:LocalisedCharacterString>OrganisationName</gmd:LocalisedCharacterString>
            </base2:organisationName>
            <base2:contact>
                <base2:Contact>
                    <base2:address>
                        <ad:AddressRepresentation>
                            <ad:adminUnit>
                                <gn:GeographicalName>
                                    <gn:language>deu</gn:language>
                                    <gn:nativeness xsi:nil="true" nilReason="Unpopulated"/>
                                    <gn:nameStatus xsi:nil="true" nilReason="Unpopulated"/>
                                    <gn:sourceOfName xsi:nil="true" nilReason="Unpopulated"/>
                                    <gn:pronunciation xsi:nil="true" nilReason="Unpopulated"/>
                                    <gn:spelling>
                                        <gn:SpellingOfName>
                                            <gn:text>City</gn:text>
                                            <gn:script>Latn</gn:script>
                                        </gn:SpellingOfName>
                                    </gn:spelling>
                                </gn:GeographicalName>
                            </ad:adminUnit>
                            <ad:locatorDesignator>Address</ad:locatorDesignator>
                            <ad:postCode>PostCode</ad:postCode>
                        </ad:AddressRepresentation>
                    </base2:address>
                    <base2:electronicMailAddress>E-Mail</base2:electronicMailAddress>
                    <base2:telephoneVoice>Phone</base2:telephoneVoice>
                    <base2:website>URL</base2:website>
                </base2:Contact>
            </base2:contact>
        </base2:RelatedParty>
    </ef:responsibleParty>

• klimeto

Dear all,

I wanna share the way we implemented the address information in EML encoding from the data collected using Dynamic Ecological Information Management System (DEIMS). For the sake of simplicity we did not use the base2:address, but instead base2:contactInstructions concatenating street, number, city and country from the system database. Example:

<base2:contact>
    <base2:Contact>
    <base2:contactInstructions>
    <gco:CharacterString>Largo Tonolli, 50 Verbania Pallanza IT</gco:CharacterString>
    </base2:contactInstructions>
    <base2:electronicMailAddress>m.coci@ise.cnr.it</base2:electronicMailAddress>
    </base2:Contact>
    </base2:contact>

In this way we don't link to other INSPIRE themes ad->gn and do not need to list tons of "Unpopulated" elements that must appear in order to be valid.

On the other hand, the information encoded in this way fulfil basic use case to geolocate the contact data using e.g. Google geocoding API: https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/geocode/json?&address=Largo%20Tonolli%2050%20Verbania%20IT

‚ÄčFor more EMF data examples feel free to visit: https://data.lter-europe.net/deims/site/search

Tomas

Environmental Monitoring & Observations

Environmental Monitoring & Observations

Environmental Monitoring Facilities, Observations and Measurements