European Commission logo
INSPIRE Community Forum

Inspire Agricultural and Aquaculture Facilities (4.0) model. Language of “name” element in Holding type.

Pedro MONTEIRO
By Pedro MONTEIRO Replies (16)

Hello,

In HALE’s forum I have placed the following question, and was answered with two options: the first was to ask here; the second wasn’t clear to me, I asked some more detail, but couldn’t get more answers; so, just the first option for me now.

1. I have a GML file (but know almost nothing about this language, or any other coding), generated and validated only by HALE, accordingly to the Inspire Agricultural and Aquaculture Facilities (4.0) model.

I chose to write the data in english (simpler to harmonize and interoperate, and also because the relevant Inspire codelists were not translated), except – of course – for the facility’s name, which was kept in portuguese.

This name is an element from the Inspire ActivityComplex parent type, inherited by the Holding type of the model.

About this element, Inspire specifications (document D.2.10.3, v.1.0rc2) note that “several names in different languages may be expressed”, and recommend “that the language of the name (part of the GeographicalName data type) be filled whenever possible”

So, besides keeping the facility’s name, I also want to specify its language (portuguese), because it is not the same of the whole GML document (english).

2. The problem is that Inspire Agricultural and Aquaculture Facilities target schema doesn’t seem to include any “language” attribute under any of its name elements of the Holding type:

a) gml:name (0...n) with attribute "codeSpace";

b) act-core:name (0...1) with attribute "nilReason".

In fact, the closest to any “language” attribute in the schema is a “locale” under Function>description>PT_FreeText>textGroup>LocalisedCharacterString, which seems appropriate for the language of a descriptive text about the function, but not for the language of the holding’s name.

So I filled the above gml:name with the holding’s portuguese name (could fill the act-core:name instead; but the multiplicity 0…n of the former seems more appropriate for “several names in different languages” besides the main language, which is english in this case).

And I also assigned to attribute "codeSpace" a URI resolvable in a page of alpha ISO 639-2 Codes, including the portuguese code (“por” or “pt”); but don’t think this is correct, or enough, because there is no way to conclude that the words in the name attribute are written in portuguese, as the URI does not resolve to this particular code/value. I also doubt that a GML with this solution could be “Inspire compliant” and validated against Inspire conformance tests.

So, how to correctly include, with HALE, the language of the holding’s name in the Inspire target schema Agricultural and Aquaculture Facilities (4.0)?

My best regards

Pedro

• Iurie MAXIM

Dear Pedro,

You found an error in the Technical guidelines and in the XSD file. There are quite a lot of such issues in all the Technical Guidelines

According to Note 2 that you indicated the "value type" of the "name" element shoud not be "CharacterString" as it is now writen in the Technical Guidelines, but it must be "GeographicalName [0..*]", or the Note 2 must be removed from the guidelines.

You may have a look at the protected sites Technical Guidelines where the SiteName element is declared as "GeographicalName [0..*]". The GeographicalName allows not only to provide the language, but to provide as well an audio file of how that name is spelled in that language and many other info (I coud say to many and not optional).

You may have a look at the Geographical Names Techical Guidelines to understand the GeographicalName element if you want to have a clue about Note 2 inserted in the Guidelines.

You may have a look as well at this service http://inspire.biodiversity.ro/WFS/RO_ENV_PADS/wfs?SERVICE=WFS&REQUEST=GetCapabilities to better understand how the Geographical Names can be used if the guidelines and XSD files are correct. If you do not kbow how to get the GML data out of the service just say.

But in your case the answer is clear: The valueType of the"name" element and therefore the XSD file (that is used by Hale) are not in accordance with Note 2, therefore your only choice now is to ignore the Note 2 and to ask a revision of the guidelines and of the XSD file.

Best regards,
    Iurie Maxim
    Teamnet
    Romania

• Iurie MAXIM

Dear Pedro,

In order to reply to your question "So, how to correctly include, with HALE, the language of the holding’s name in the Inspire target schema Agricultural and Aquaculture Facilities (4.0)?"...

You will be able to "correctly" include the language of the holding's name only after both the Technical Guidelines and the XSD schema would be changed in order to be in accordance with NOTE 2 that states "It is recommended that the language of the name (part of the
    Geographical/Name data type) be filled whenever possible."

For ensuring this:
    1. the value type of the "name" element must be changed from CharacterString into GeographicalName and
    2. the multiplicity must be changed from 0..1 into 0..* (in order to allow multiple names in one or more languages).

Best regards,
    Iurie Maxim
    Teamnet
    Romania

• Pedro MONTEIRO

By Pedro MONTEIRO

Dear Iurie

So, best would be that the correspondent XSD schemas replaced “act-core:name” [0...1] and/or “gml:name” [0...*] by “GeographicalName” [0…*]. I think this would apply both to Holding and Site types, in case of Agricultural and Aquaculture Facilities model.

To ask the revision, perhaps this discussion could simply be sent to the responsible services (who are they?)

I got an error in the WFS to Romania Natural Protected Areas (but saw the name of the service: Ariile naturale protejate din Romania):

Anyway, I looked at the Geographical Names Techical Guidelines, and became more or less aware of the correspondent elements.

Also saw some gml examples at:

https://github.com/geopython/stetl/blob/master/examples/basics/10_jinja2_templating/output/inspire-addresses.gml

Thank you very much.

All the best

Pedro

• Iurie MAXIM

I saw that all the tags were removed while pasting here, or at least they are not seen on mobile devices, so there is a bug in the platform.

The reply with all the tags can be accessed at:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1w2iTy_TwHoDg8TDijJwjHnYfCteBIQrkZUECCjuWXLU/edit?usp=drive_web

Best regards,
    Iurie Maxim
    Teamnet
    Romania

• Angel LOPEZ ALOS

By Angel LOPEZ ALOS

Dear Pedro, Iurie,

Thanks a lot for pointing this out as this is one of the added values provided by this platform.

This issue and solution proposed by Iurie (which I think is certainly correct) will be now submitted to MIG.

I will keep you informed about conclusion.

Best regards.

Angel

• Iurie MAXIM

Hi Pedro

If looking at the ProtectedSites.xsd schema version 4.0 (that can be found at http://inspire.ec.europa.eu/schemas/ps/4.0/ProtectedSites.xsd) the "siteName" element is defined as follows (in order to be visible I replaced the opening and closing tag sign with paranthesis):

(element maxOccurs="unbounded"minOccurs="0" name="siteName"nillable="true")
    (annotation)
    (documentation)
    -- Definition -- The name of the Protected Site. -- Description -- NOTE 1 Several names in different languages may be expressed. NOTE 2 It is recommended that the language of the name (part of the GeographicalName data type) be filled where ever possible. This is an important identifying attribute of a Protected Site.
    (/documentation)
    (/annotation)
    (complexType)
    (sequence)
    (element ref="gn:GeographicalName"/)
    (/sequence)
    (attribute name="nilReason"type="gml:NilReasonType"/)
    (/complexType)
    (/element)

In the act-core XSD version 4.0 file (that can be found at http://inspire.ec.europa.eu/schemas/act-core/4.0/ActivityComplex_Core.xsd)
    the "name" element is defined as follows:

(/element)
    (element minOccurs="0" name="name"nillable="true")
    (annotation)
    (documentation)
    -- Name -- name -- Definition -- Descriptive name of the “Activity Complex”. -- Description -- NOTE 1 Several names in different languages may be expressed. NOTE 2 It is recommended that the language of the name (part of the Geographical/Name data type) be filled whenever possible.
    (/documentation)
    (/annotation)
    (complexType)
    (simpleContent)
    (extension base="string")
    (attribute name="nilReason"type="gml:NilReasonType"/)
    (/extension)
    (/simpleContent)
    (/complexType)
    (/element)

But in order to comply with Notes 1 and 2 from its definition, the "name" element from ActivityComplex_Core.xsd  should look most probably exactly like the "siteName" element from ProtectedSites.xsd, with the documentation tag changed, namely:

(element maxOccurs="unbounded" minOccurs="0" name="name" nillable="true")
    (annotation)
    (documentation)
    -- Name -- name -- Definition -- Descriptive name of the “Activity Complex”. -- Description -- NOTE 1 Several names in different languages may be expressed. NOTE 2 It is recommended that the language of the name (part of the Geographical/Name data type) be filled whenever possible.
    (/documentation)
    (/annotation)
    (complexType)
    (sequence)
    (element ref="gn:GeographicalName"/)
    (/sequence)
    (attribute name="nilReason" type="gml:NilReasonType"/)
    (/complexType)
    (/element)

At the begining of the ActivityComplex_Core.xsd should be added as well:

xmlns:gn="http://inspire.ec.europa.eu/schemas/gn/4.0"

Regarding the Romanian Protected Areas WFS 2.0 service, if copying and pasting the following request in the browser:

http://inspire.biodiversity.ro/WFS/RO_ENV_PADS/wfs?service=WFS&version=2.0.0&request=GetFeature&typeName=ps:ProtectedSite&featureId=RO_ENV_PADS_psPSRef_ROMAB0003

it can be seen at the end of the gml file how it was provided the siteName for Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve in different languages and different scripts (cyrilic and latin for the same language).
    It can be even listening the pronuntiations of these names in those languages.

The RO_ENV_PADS service is fine, so to better understand how to access the WFS service in the browser trough KVP requests it may be of interest  as well to see the powerpoint: http://inspire.ec.europa.eu/events/conferences/inspire_2016/pdfs/2016_psessions/29%20THURSDAY_PSESSIONS_H2_16.00-18.00______IurieMaxim.pdf

As you mentioned that you got an error, we are interested to see which was your request and what error was provided.

Best regards,
    Iurie Maxim

• Pedro MONTEIRO

By Pedro MONTEIRO

Thank you, Iurie and Angel, for the implementations and follow-up.

In the meantime I realized that Site type (UML at http://inspire.ec.europa.eu/data-model/approved/r4618/html/ and XSD at http://inspire.ec.europa.eu/schemas/af/4.0/AgriculturalAndAquacultureFacilities.xsd) does not include any “name” element (although it appears in Hale target schema, not mandatory) so I assume that we don’t have to worry about inserting names of the different sites a holding may have. Very good (less worries, then).

Also realized that the “name” to be replaced by the “GeographicalName” [0…*] is indeed the “act-core:name” [0…1], and not the “gml:name” [0…*], because the former is the one that belongs to the Inspire schema (Activity Complex), and the latter belongs to the general GML 3.2 schema.

Iurie, thanks for the GML example of the Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve, where I could see the coding of 3 different names (inside spelling>spellingOfName>text) and languages/alphabets (Ukranian/cyrilic, Ukranian/latin and Romanian/latin), and the correspondent links to the mp3 audio files with the pronunciations.

As for the WFS error, I pasted a screen, it vanished from my last post; now I have upload (embed content) a doc, more detailed.

All the best

• Iurie MAXIM

Dear Pedro,

First of all I should mention that according to Inspire, the WFS 2.0 version (2.0.0 or even 2.0.1) must be used, while you tried to open a WFS 2.0 service with a WFS version 1.0 or 1.1 plugin.
    I have no ideea if gvSIG has a plugin for WFS 2.0, but qGIS has for sure. Install that plugin that has an icon simmilar to a 220V electrical plug and you will be able to connect to Inspire WFS services. There were some discutions on this platform regarding how to use that plugin in order to see xlinks, that you may find in the biodiversity cluster.

Best regards,
    Iurie Maxim

• Iurie MAXIM

Dear Pedro,

If looking at the begining of the http://inspire.ec.europa.eu/schemas/af/4.0/AgriculturalAndAquacultureFacilities.xsd
    you may see these lines:

xmlns:act-core="http://inspire.ec.europa.eu/schemas/act-core/4.0"

They indicate that within the AgriculturalAndAquacultureFacilities.xsd are used elements from the ActivityComplex_Core.xsd

You can see those elements as they start in the XSD file with act-core. An example:

Therefore your suposition is false. HALE is loading all the fields from these XSD schema and there is not only one. If you will take a close look you will see that each XSD is importing other XSD files, so there are a lot of elements that do not appear in the AgriculturalAndAquacultureFacilities.xsd and they are taken from the imported XSDs.

Even if the Technical Guidelines have some errors, they are not so wrong as you thought in the last post.

UML and XSD are not so easy understandable and some of the errors in the quidelines appeared because the experts on specific topics that drafted the quidelines did not understood nor UML nor XSD and on the other side the UML and XSD experts that were involved in drafting Technical Guidelines did not understood the tematic experts.

Best regards,
    Iurie Maxim
    Teamnet
    Romania

This discussion is closed.

This discussion is closed and is not accepting new comments.

Facilities & Utilities, Public Services

Facilities & Utilities, Public Services

Covers a broad set of facilities, installations, networks and constructions supporting economic activities and public services