European Commission logo
INSPIRE Community Forum

Characterization of streets / urban thoroughfares

The INSPIRE data specification on Addresses defines the “ThoroughfareName” feature type, aimed at defining the name of any thoroughfare.

This feature type is associated with the “TransportLink” abstract feature type defined in the Transport Network data specification, so that any of its (non-abstract) child elements (e.g. "RoadLink" spatial objects) may be connected with its corresponding thoroughfare name, regardless the geographic scope (either urban or interurban).

Link between Addresses and Transport networks - ThoroughfareName

From my perspective, it would be desirable to somehow characterize urban road links. This would allow to obtain the subset of road links that forms part of the urban network (most often managed by municipalities). 

A possibility would be e.g. to include a "urban thoroughfare" (or similar value) within the “FormOfWay” code list in the Road Transport Network application schema / data model.

• Knut JETLUND

I am sorry, but I am not sure if I understand the purpose of your proposal. Is it to be able to identify the road links that are possible thoroughfares for addressing? This is not really relevant for us in Norway, where addresses are applied to roads both in urban areas and rural areas. In fact, both a path and a dual carriageway may have addresses. I believe the only road links that may not have addresses are freeways and motorways.

I do not believe that FormOfWay should be used for such a purpose, it will be difficult to define what is a single carriageway and what is an "urban thoroughfare". If we need to identify a subset for addressing, couldn't this rather be done by a special Transport Property or a special RoadLinkSequence?

• Jordi ESCRIU

Not really - all road links (as you mentioned) are possibles throughfares for addressing. Even freeways and motorways, I would say.

I am proposing to identify the subset of the road network (road links) which are usually managed and maintained by municipalities / local authotities (their responsibility) - Let's say urban streets, avenues, traffic squares... They constitute the major part of the urban network.

Note that some main catalogued roads may cross a urban area, while being maintained by other bodies (regional or national) which are responsible for the main road transport system. These do not explicitly form part of the urban network.

This identification is widely used in Spain (probably in other countries as well) and may be used e.g. for generalization purposes.

The terminology issue comes back again.... I admit that "urban throughfare" is probably not the best term to identify them. And I agree that the identification of such road links may be done by using other transport property different from "FormOfWay" (or even an attribute).

• Josué Díaz Jiménez

By Josué Díaz Jiménez

In the Feature type "Speed limit" exists the attribute "AreaCondition" and you can use the value "insideCities". does this fits your request?

• Knut JETLUND

I am still not sure if I understand the context, but if the issue is maintenance, we allready have the transport property "MaintenanceAuthority" in common transport elements. In our road data base, we have a classification for road owner (state, county, municipality, private). The owner is also responsible for maintenance, but normaly it is outsourced to a contractor. This classification is transformed to the transport properties MaintenanceAuthority and OwnerAuthority in our INSPIRE TN data set. 

• Jordi ESCRIU

The "AreaCondition" is for specifiying a speed limit which is dependent on environmental circumstances - usually variable in time. It refers only to the "SpeedLimit" transport property, not to the road link itself.

The issue is not really maintenance (for which we are able to apply maintenance and owner authority properties), but being able to subset the urban and inter-urban networks - mainly for generalization purposes, which is the most clear use-case. This capability may also apply to navigation purposes, as a complement of the functional road class.

For example, it is strange to me to have the "trafficSquare" value in "FormOfWay", and not a single value for referring to streets, avenues, or similar ways in the urban context.