European Commission logo
INSPIRE Community Forum

Planned Land Use schema - typo

Hi,

I've just been asked to advise UK local authorities on how they can publish their "Brownfield Land Registers" as INSPIRE compliant data. I'm working through the theme spec (I'm used to several other themes), and find this apparent typo:

At http://inspire-regadmin.jrc.ec.europa.eu/dataspecification/ScopeObjectDetail.action?objectDetailId=10571, ZoningElement.backgroundMap has an attribute called "backgroudMapURI". Has anyone made data to this schema? Would it be too late to fix the typo, by including an 'n' in the attribute name, so it becomes 'backgroundMapURI'?

• Giacomo MARTIRANO

By Giacomo MARTIRANO

Hi Peter.

I do hope that what you spotted will not take ages to be fixed with new legislation (and meanwhile interoperability can be lost), rather it could suggest the adoption of an agile procedure (agreed by the community of implementers and endorsed by MIG) enabling the (properly documented) schemas updating in almost real time!

• Michael LUTZ

Dear Peter, all,

I just checked the IRs, and the error is indeed also present there. So to be fully consistent, we would need to even change the legal act. But maybe this can be done as part of the currently planned amendment/corrigendum of the data interoprability IRs. If agreed by the community (and subsequently) the MIG, we can probably start making the changes in the model, TG and schemas, even before the legal process has been completed.

But, before proceeding with such a change to the schema, since it would not be backwards-compatible (i.e. would break existing implementations)  I would also like to know the impact, i.e. how many implementations already exist in MS using the current schema (with the typo). LU seems  to be very "popular" (judging from the number of data sets in the geoportal), but I am not sure how many of these are already using the INSPIRE schema.

• Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

By Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

Dear Peter, all,

Thank you for reporting this error. I hope that this apparent error in the schema can be fixed asap, even though fixing the error in the IR and the TG will take more time.

FYI: I have looked and asked for PLU schema implementations, but I haven't come across any so far. I plan to continue looking during the INSPIRE Conference. 

However, I cannot 100% confirm that implementations don't already exist. To be really sure about the implications I guess we'd need to ask the INSPIRE contact points to ask data providers in the LU theme.

Land Cover & Use

Land Cover & Use

Join this group to share your knowledge, learn and collaborate in solving issues related to the Land Cover and Land Use themes