European Commission logo
INSPIRE Community Forum

Population distribution based on gridded data

The specs on Population distribution only have a reference to Statistical units and not to Geographical grid systems. But it makes no sense to translate the INSPIRE GGS 1 km² grid data (http://www.efgs.info/data/) into Statistical units.

So how does one reference spatial objects for statistics based on a grid? Is it OK to reference the grid same as one would reference the statistical units?

Thank you.

• Bresters PIETER

By Bresters PIETER

Dear Ann É,

I agree that you can doubt the usefulness of a 1 km2 grid as Statistical Unit. Combining PD and SU in one file encoding known to a GIS user would make much more sense. Unfortunately INSPIRE is not very clear about how to publish in other encodings than GML

Therefore referring to a SU grid cel is the only way I know to publish according to INSPIRE. The Geostat III project is intending to setup SU grid test services for the countries involved in this project. The statistical values are encoded in SDMX files with a structure (DSD) as much as posible like the GML schema's as defined for the INSPIRE PD model.

Referring to the grid cel would work the same as referring to a normal statistical unit and therefore it is OK to do so. A grid cel is just a special type of SU. This has been described in the data specification of SU.

Best regards,

Pieter Bresters

• Ann É

We are not referring to a grid cell under SU, but to the theme Geographical grid systems, as the http://www.efgs.info/data/ data is published under this theme.

• Sibylle SAUL

How to treat the Geographical grid Systems is always a bit confusing to me.

In the technical Guidelines it says:

"Geographical grid systems (hereafter: Grids) play a specific role that is quite different from the other themes in the Directive’s annexes. Contrary to the other themes the Grids specification does not concern a downloadable or viewable thematic data set. Rather, it presents a basic functionality allowing the harmonised and interoperable geographic localisation of spatial objects defined by the other INSPIRE thematic data specifications. "

So the grid in the Statistical Units theme should refer to the Geographical Grid Systems but not the demographic data from the Population Distribution theme directly.

At least that is my Interpretation.

Kind regards,

Sibylle Saul

• Pierre JAMAGNE

By Pierre JAMAGNE

Hi,

P36 of the Data specifications, under statistical unit, it is said that Spatial features of any Inspire application schema be considered as a statistical unit. So can be considered the efgs 1km² grid.

So when transforming my population data related to the efgs grid, under spatial dimension, I referred to the url of the efgs file and the gridcell Id.

P Jamagne

Statistics Belgium

• Mirosław MIGACZ

By Mirosław MIGACZ

Dear all,

Please have a look at pages 21-22 of the SU data spec:

IR Requirement
    Annex IV, Section 1.5
    Theme-specific Requirements

For pan-European usage, the Equal Area Grid defined in Section 2.2.1 of Annex II shall be used.

There's no need to translate the grid defined in the GG theme to SU. It can be used as is.

Regards,

Mirosław

• Sibylle SAUL

Dear all, dear Mirosław,

I agree with your conclusion from the sections from the IR you cited. And I understand that one can make a reference to the GG.

However, there is not GG UML-Model, GG layer defined - at least I did not find one. So just in case I want to use a TJS to join my statistical data referenced to GG with a geometry - how should I do this? If I want to join my data with a grid from the SU I have to use the other (SU) code.

What do you think about this?

Sibylle

• Mirosław MIGACZ

By Mirosław MIGACZ

In terms of validation and conformity with the Implementing Rules:

- the construction of the SU grid cell code is placed only in the Technical Guidelines, which are a support document with recommendations for the implementation

- validation of INSPIRE datasets is done against an XSD schema for each theme

- the code attribute of a grid cell is a CharacterString, which means it can be ANY CharacterString to fulfil the validation

- the IRs state that the GG grid should be used for pan-European purposes.

Therefore in my opinion you should be allowed to publish the GG grid under SU using GG code construction. Additionally you can provide other attributes (EPSG code, resolution) in the StatisticalGrid feature.

This is only my opinion however, it would be great to know what others think on the matter, especially the GEOSTAT3 team. Pieter? :)

Cheers,

Miro

• Mirosław MIGACZ

By Mirosław MIGACZ

A small update: Had a look into the draft Population and Housing Census regulation and it seems the SU grid code construction (CRS3035RES1000m...) has been written into the legislation.

• Bresters PIETER

By Bresters PIETER

Sorry for my late reaction,

I think you should forget about the GG grid and just use the statistical grid for statistical purposes.

The only way you can use both in a TJS is when you ad an extra GG-code to the PD theme, but there is no room for that in the current PD-model.

I don't know the GG-model, but is there room for an extra code that is beeing used in PD grids? In that case you could also join the PD to a GG.

Pieter

• Mirosław MIGACZ

By Mirosław MIGACZ

I already did :)

Also, I proposed the SU grid as a reporting unit for Agricultural Census 2020 and Farm Structure Surveys 2023 / 2026 and it's been written into legislation as well.

Statistics & Health

Statistics & Health

Join this group if you would like to share knowledge or ask questions regarding the INSPIRE implementation of Statistical Units [SU], Population Distribution (Demography) [PD] or Human Health and Safety [HH] data themes