European Commission logo
INSPIRE Community Forum

Data in Image Formats

Keiran MILLARD
By Keiran MILLARD Replies (2)

Branch from: https://themes.jrc.ec.europa.eu/discussion/view/14769/implementation-of-of-standard

My sixth question is related to the fact that some movies and photos are made when the data are collected at sea and I want to store it in the IDE. In the INSPIRE data specification - Oceanographic Features theme there is no indication about how I can store these information.  Can you tell me how can I store these videos / photos together in / with the data model defined by INSPIRE?

• Keiran MILLARD

By Keiran MILLARD

We had some discussion on this topic at the Inspire Conference in Lisbon this year.  I agree there is some ocean data that is not capable of being represented in Inspire - even though the thematic scope is correct.  This includes movies and photographs as you suggest, but also other data such as sound (underwater noise) and modelled data that cannot be be sensibly respresented on the data structures in Inspire e.g. unstructured meshes.

It is proposed that these data are made discoverable (i.e. Inspire metadata records and discovery services) but there is no obligation to conform to a particular data model or delivery service (i.e. the discovery service points to the current 'as is' services).  This is on the basis that this at least provides visibility on the data avaialble.  However there needs to be a formal method to allow Member States to publish 'not possible to comply' data under Inspire so that it is not punitive on a MS to do this.  This will be raise with the MIG-T group to see what can be done.

• Keiran MILLARD

By Keiran MILLARD

EMODNet and Inspire Boundaries

This is a slide produced at the EMODNet : Inspire technical workshop in December 2015.  What it was attempting to is show the logical boundaries between Inspire and thematic community services such as EMODNet.  A particular objectives was to look at the scope of Inspire from the context of data representation - as discussed earlier in this thread.

These thematic communities has a role to play in the interoperability landscape that is distinct from Inspire.  Taking the example of EMODNet, data collation/aggregation and harmonisation is performed largely on data in their native structures.

These structures are used by their primary customers (the marine community) and so their is little value in changing these to other structures. In some cases it may even be detrimental to the quality of the data.  For example transformation of data from an unstructured mesh coverage to a regular grid introduces a change to the nature of the data.

However, many of these structures are identical to those in Inspire  - in many cases because they were based on what the EMODNet community does.  Hence the transformation from 'community to Inspire' is trivial.  Where there is no obvious way to transform the data because of its representation, e.g. video or sound then it shouldn't be in scope of Inspire at this stage - until Inspire has implemented network services that support these data representations.  A useful test for what is important and what isn't is whether the data is directly needed to support environmental reporting

This discussion is closed.

This discussion is closed and is not accepting new comments.

Marine & Atmosphere

Marine & Atmosphere

Oceanographic Geographical Features, Sea Regions, Atmospheric Conditions and Meteorological Geographical Features