European Commission logo
INSPIRE Community Forum

base2:DocumentCitation can´t be a gml:featureMember in a gml:FeatureCollection?

I am trying to reference a base2:DocumentCitation using xlink:href in SpeciesDistributionDataset:documentBasis property. Something like this:

<sd:documentBasis xlink:href="#id-34567"/>

But it seems that a base2:DocumentCitation is not allowed as a gml:featureMember in the same gml:featureCollection that contains the SpeciesDistributionDataset object.

In other INSPIRE application schemas this is possible. For example: an OfficialDocumentation featureType in Planned Land Use (PLU) application schema can be referenced from SpatialPlan:officialDocument property. 

• Stefania MORRONE

By Stefania MORRONE

Hi Jorge,

OfficialDocumentation is a feature type in the PlannedLandUSe schema (i.e. <element name="OfficialDocumentation" substitutionGroup="gml:AbstractFeature" type="plu:OfficialDocumentationType">) meaning that it can be a  <gml:featureMember> in a <gml:FeatureCollection>and can be referenced by other features in the dataset through its gml:id.

Conversely, the documentBasis is an element in the SpeciesDistributionDataSet feature type. Being an ‘element’ - so not being a feature- it cannot be a feature member.

That said, in the SpeciesDistribution.xsd, the data type for  documentBasis element is base2:DocumentCitation (i.e.  <element ref="base2:DocumentCitation"/>), meaning that documentBasis can be encoded following two options:

Option 1:

through an embedded base2:DocumentCitation element

e.g.

<sd:documentBasis>
                    <base2:DocumentCitation gml:id="fake_id">
                        <base2:name>fakeDocumentCitation</base2:name>
                        <base2:date>
                            <gmd:CI_Date>
                                <gmd:date>
                                    <gco:Date>11-1-2000</gco:Date>
                                </gmd:date>
                                <gmd:dateType/>
                            </gmd:CI_Date>
                        </base2:date>
                        <base2:link>http://fakelinks.eu/fakedocument </base2:link>
                    </base2:DocumentCitation>
                </sd:documentBasis>

Option 2:

as a link to a document (URL of referenced document)

e.g.

<sd:documentBasis xlink:href="http://fakelinks.eu/fakedocument"/&gt;

Hope this helps smiley

Stefania

• Jorge Rosales

Thank you Stefania, I will use option 1 but I surprised a bit the difference of treatment between similar/related subjects (documentation) in SD and PLU.

Regards,

Jorge.

This discussion is closed.

This discussion is closed and is not accepting new comments.

Biodiversity & Area Management

Biodiversity & Area Management

If themes like Protected Sites, Area Management/Restriction/Regulation Zones and Reporting Units, Habitats and Biotopes, Species Distribution, Bio-geographical Regions matters to you, join these groups!