European Commission logo
INSPIRE Community Forum

INSPIRE base2: relatedParty role codelist?

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a recommendation or best practice for codelist or values to use for the "role" property of INSPIRE base2 RelatedPartyType?

In my case one related party is responsible for collecting and analysing the data and another for publishing it as an INSPIRE dataset. I would like to add contact info for both parties in the Process description, but since the type of the "role" property is just a reference, I need to use a URL to encode different roles, like "owner", "distributor".

• Simon TEMPLER

The INSPIRE registry defines a code list RelatedPartyRoleValue. It is defined as not extensible, so it seems only the three values defined in that list may be used (authority, operator, owner). Represented as an URI owner, for example, is represented as http://inspire.ec.europa.eu/codelist/RelatedPartyRoleValue/owner

Hope that helps

Simon

• Ilkka RINNE

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for!

Ilkka

• Alessandro SARRETTA

By Alessandro SARRETTA

Ilkka, I've reopened thes discussion, given this input from Kathi that I also copied below:

Hi Ilkka,

think you closed the discussion on relatedParty role a bit to fast! In any case, there are more options than the 3 listed by Simon Templer (authority, operator, owner).

The comment in the UML model states:

The allowed values for the PartyRoleValue code list comprise the values of the following code lists or other code lists specified by data providers:
    – Role Code (CI_RoleCode): Functions performed by a responsible party (EN ISO 19115:2005/AC:2008).
    – Role of a Related Party (RelatedPartyRoleValue): Classification of related party roles.

the codelist provided in the UML, apart from being defined as extensible, corresponds to the one put online for metadata (makes sense, as taken from 19115), available at:

http://inspire.ec.europa.eu/metadata-codelist/ResponsiblePartyRole/

Of the 3 options listed in your thread, only owner is correct according to this list, authority & operator don't exist. Yet again INSPIRE being incompatible with itself!

Maybe JRC can clarify?

• Alessandro SARRETTA

By Alessandro SARRETTA

Reopening this discussion, I add here other two points to be clarified:

The accessibility should be harmonised across the materials (registry, UML model, ...)

• Chris SCHUBERT

By Chris SCHUBERT

Just a comment to Ilkka's and Kathi's conversaion: CI_RoleCode and RelatedPartyRoleValue under the same parent PartyRoleValue are two different classifications (which are not extensible), PartyRole itself is extensible. In the case of owner, there are lot of duplicates of code list values and similar semantic concepts in the INSPIRE Registers, for the 'INSPIRE code list register' I counted 75 value labels. This will be a task of the of the INSPIRE vocabulary management. In addition I think it would be helpful to make a link visible in the Registry between CI_RoleCode and metadata-codelist/ResponsiblePartyRole

The issue for the extensibility caused by some reasons: The UML based on the INSPIRE template, to define code lists only two types were foreseen: any & none. With the Annex II&III Specification a more detailed extensibility for code lists was needed. Within the ISDSS (EC-1253/2013) 8 types were extracted and we reclassified into 4 classes, see http://inspire.ec.europa.eu/registry/extensibility/

Probably Michael can publish this 'code list classification document', which we created, at the MIG Registry Wiki.

Types of extensibility in ISDSS EC-1253/2013

1. The allowed values for this code list comprise only the values specified in the table below.
    2. The allowed values for this code list comprise the values specified in the table below and additional values at any level defined by data providers.
    3. The allowed values for this code list comprise the values specified in the table below and narrower values defined by data providers.
    4. The allowed values for this code list comprise any values defined by data providers.
    5. The allowed values for this code list comprise only the values specified in [reference]
    6. The allowed values for this code list comprise the values specified in [reference] and additional values at any level defined by data providers.
    7. The allowed values for this code list comprise the values of the following code lists or other code lists specified by data providers.
    8. The allowed values for this code list comprise the values of the following code lists.

Sure, for an INSPIRE UML maintenance it should be harmonised.

Environmental Monitoring & Observations

Environmental Monitoring & Observations

Environmental Monitoring Facilities, Observations and Measurements