European Commission logo
INSPIRE Community Forum

Which ISO 19115 metadata attribute should hold the CV_InterpolationMehod information?

Hi everybody,

I have a question on the metadata attribute of the ElevationGridCoverage FeatureType: Section 5.5.1.2.1 of the Data Specification recommends to deliver data concerning the interpolation method in the metadata attribute of ElevationGridCoverage using values of the CV_InterpolationMethod codelist (default is bilinear). Section 5.5.1.2.5 of the Data Specification proposes to use ISO 19115 as metadata pattern. Which attribute of it should hold the interpolation method?

The final example in https://themes.jrc.ec.europa.eu/file/view/59232/example-elevation-grid-coverages-single-coverage-tested-final has a link to an xml file in the metadata attribute. Is the best practice to store the metadata externally and link to it?

I am thankful for every hint on how to correctly handle this. Thank you in advance and all the best

Johanna

• Jordi ESCRIU

Dear Johanna,

Thank you very much for your question!

In the Metadata chapter, pages 107 - 108 of the INSPIRE Technical Guidelines on Elevation v3.0 you can find the following table, where it is recommended to use the metadata element 46. supplementalInformation from ISO 19115:

Supplemental information

You may publish the ISO 19115 metadata through an SDI Catalogue (discovery service), but also distribute it together with the coverage, as part of the coverage "metadata" slot.

Let me known if your question is properly resolved.

Best,

Jordi

• Johanna Ott

Dear Jordi,

Thank you for your reply. I thought chapter 8 of the data specification would only concern metadata on the dataset level.

My question was referring to the metadata attribute inside the FeatureType structure of ElevationGridCoverage (inherited from Coverage) which I would have expected to follow different rules:

But I might have misinterpreted that and can use the indications for the metadata on dataset level for the ones on attribute level as well.

All the best

Johanna

• Jordi ESCRIU

Dear Johanna,

In my view you are able to include this information in the dataset level metadata, if the recommended interpolation method is applicable to all the coverage spatial objects composing the dataset.

You may also provide this information at spatial object level for each coverage, using the metadata attribute foreseen for this purpose (metadata slot of each coverage) - As stated in Section 5.5.1.2.5 you may use and ISO 19115 structure for it, but also other metadata structures. 

The metadata slot has multiple cardinality.

Please let me know if this satisfies your case / question.

Jordi

• Johanna Ott

Dear Jordi,

Thank you for your reply and the further explanation. I just saw that the screenshot I added to my last post got not displayed and added it again  ;)

That satisfies my question - we will check whether we provide it on dataset level or on spatial object level.

All the best, Johanna

• Jordi ESCRIU

OK - Do not hesitate to post any other questions / issues in the cluster.

All the best,

Jordi

This discussion is closed.

This discussion is closed and is not accepting new comments.

Elevation, Ortho & Grids

Elevation, Ortho & Grids

INSPIRE Thematic Cluster Elevation, Orthoimagery, Reference systems, Geographical grids - Join this group to share your knowkledge, learn and collaborate in solving issues related to the Elevation, Orthoimagery, Reference systems and Geographical grids themes