European Commission logo
INSPIRE Community Forum

Doubts related to the Implementation of Geology Standard

I have some questions and I hope you can help me.

My first question is related with the data specification Geology of the INSPIRE theme. I am trying to use INSPIRE Geology schema in the HUMBOLDT Alignment Editor 2.9.0 (HALE) to harmonize Geology data of a Marine Environment Data Base of my institution. When I select the Geology.xsd in the HALE, I see SpringOrSeep and VanishingPoint target types, but the relevant target types in data specification for this theme doesn’t look like the same (in my opinion). I know that this theme is divided into three application schemes: Geology, Hydrogeology and Geophysics. Of these three subtypes, in my institution we only have data of Geology and Geophysics. The target schema Geophysics is apparently correct and identical to the data specification, but the target schema Geology doesn’t look like. Can you confirm me if that is right or not and where can I get the correct geology.xsd subtype?

If I am not wrong, Geology subtype is related to collection and analysis of geological samples (rocks), geomorphologic features, etc.?

Please take a look to the following URL: 

http://inspire.ec.europa.eu/schemas/ge/0.0/Geology.xsd

Can you tell me if I can get the last version of Geology.xsd and how I can get it?

My second question is related to the fact that, in the various campaigns performed in the ocean, were collected various data related to Geophysics. These data have values related to the property that is being measured. In data specification Geology, more specifically in application schema Geophysics, I don´t find any attribute where I can put the values of the measured property (result value – for example: seismic, magnetism, gravimetry). Can you tell me what is the attribute used to this purpose? Can you tell me too where or what is the attribute to store the geometry (spatial location) of the performed measurements?

My third question that is also related to this subtype Geophysics, is the fact that different data are collected through different instruments, but performing the same type of procedure in data acquisition. My doubt is to know if the data collected by different instruments but with the same procedure are stored in the same table of the same type (for example: profile) or if they are stored in separate tables of the same type (eg profile)?

My fourth question is how can I store geophysical data collected on a trajectory (horizontal profile)? In application scheme Geophysics of geology data specification only speak in GeophStation (for point type), GeophProfile (for vertical profile type) and GeophSwath (for swath type = area). Does GeophProfile also serve to horizontal profile (trajectory)? Does GeophSwath also serve to horizontal profile (trajectory)?

I would be most grateful if you would look into this matter as soon as possible because it is very important to me and to my work.

Best regards,

Carlos Ferreira

Earth Science

Earth Science

Join this group to share your knowledge, learn and collaborate with INSPIRE Earth Science Cluster for Geology, Soils, Natural Risk Zones, Mineral resources, and Energy resources