European Commission logo
INSPIRE Community Forum

Short and floating variables in TIFF DTM

Dear All,

I am posting here an email  from our colleague Artur Seara.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are working in TIFF specifications for digital terrain models and, according to INSPIRE TG for elevation, in table 15, Annex E, the TAG SampleFormat is type Short. But ahead in the restricted values of the same tag it is written that 1 is for imagery and 1, 2 or 3 for grid data (like DTM I think). According to TIFF specs the 3 code means "floating point data"...what is different of "Short" type that is used for integers no longer than 16 bits.

Is this incorrect or I am missing something?

Any help will be great.

Artur Seara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone encountered this problem or is experienced in the encoding of elevation data using TIFF?

Jordi

• Jordi ESCRIU

By Jordi ESCRIU

Dear All,

It would be nice if somebody who has experience using TIFF format could guide and/or answer Artur Seara on this question.

Jordi

Elevation, Ortho & Grids

Elevation, Ortho & Grids

INSPIRE Thematic Cluster Elevation, Orthoimagery, Reference systems, Geographical grids - Join this group to share your knowkledge, learn and collaborate in solving issues related to the Elevation, Orthoimagery, Reference systems and Geographical grids themes