European Commission logo
INSPIRE Community Forum

Boreholes with original observations in the dataspecification Geology (Application schema Geology)

Wideke BOERSMA
By Wideke BOERSMA Replies (4)

Dear collegeas,

We have a question about the boreholes with original observations. At the GE-dataspecification the following is stated (p. 27):

A MappedInterval is therefore an interpretation of the observations (lithological, geophysical etc) made in the original log, and it is only such interpreted borehole logs which are in scope of the data specification. < ...... > The data specification does not cover the original observations upon which the interpretation was made, but these can be delivered using the GeoSciML and the ISO 19156 Observations & Measurements standard.

Where are the original observations now covered? Are  they covered under the dataspecification Geology, but delivered using GeoSciML/O&M or are they out of scope? 

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Best regards,

Wideke Boersma

• Katharina SCHLEIDT

By Katharina SCHLEIDT

Dear Wideke,

to my understanding, the GE Boreholes are linked to ActiveWell featureTypes, that in turn are linked to EnvironmentalMonitoringFacilities.

I've provided more indepth information in your other post on groundwater levels: https://inspire.ec.europa.eu/forum/discussion/view/261036/groundwater-level-measurements-within-groundwater-wells-in-the-dataspecification-geology-application-schema-hydrogeology#elgg-object-261216

Hope this helps!

:)

Kathi

• Wideke BOERSMA

By Wideke BOERSMA

Hello Kathi,

Thank you for your answer. The boreholes mentioned here are in a different application schema. The boreholes are part of application schema Geology in stead of application schema Hydrogeology. In the application schema Geology there is no link to EnvironmentalMonitoringFacilities. See also in the dataspec Figure 10 – UML class diagram: Borehole:

Best regards, Wideke

• Katharina SCHLEIDT

By Katharina SCHLEIDT

Dear Wideke,

Sorry for having missed the explicit sub-theme you're going for :(

My approach has always been more focused on the core requirements of INSPIRE Article 4, first looking at the available data, then deciding on the relevant INSPIRE Themes. If the data being held by your institution covers concepts from both the INSPIRE Geology Application Schema as well as the EnvironmentalMonitoringFacilities (EF) Application Schema, then these are the INSPIRE Themes you should be encoding your data in.

A short note to the EF Schema - this has been designed as a simple container reflecting what O&M Observation types can be expected at a specific location; when Observations are provided within INSPIRE, this spatial metainformation should be provided.

Also - to my understanding, directly applying GeoSciML causes issues due to the different Borehole Types - not sure how I'd mix these!:
    * in INSPIRE Geology, Borehole is a GML featureType.
    * in GeoSciML, Borehole is derived from SF_SamplingCurve, thus foreseen for the application of O&M Observations

:)

Kathi

• László SŐRÉS

By László SŐRÉS

Dear Wideke,

In INSPIRE you can handle this by wrapping the original observation into a SamplingFeature and link it to the Borehole as relatedSamplingFeature.

In GeoSciML Borehole is subclassed from SamplingFeature so you can just add any Observations as relatedObservation.

I hope it helps,
    Laszlo

Earth Science

Earth Science

Join this group to share your knowledge, learn and collaborate with INSPIRE Earth Science Cluster for Geology, Soils, Natural Risk Zones, Mineral resources, and Energy resources