European Commission logo
INSPIRE Community Forum

Groundwater level measurements within groundwater wells in the dataspecification Geology (Application schema Hydrogeology)

Dear collegeas,

We have a question about groundwater level measurements within groudwater wells. At the GE-dataspecification (Application schema Hydrogeology) the following note is stated (p. 43):

NOTE 1 For provision of detailed measurements on the quality and chemical composition of groundwater and time series measurements of groundwater level within groundwater wells the use of the WaterML 2.0 specification is recommended.

Where are the original groundwater level observations within groundwater wells now covered? Are  they covered under the dataspecification Geology, but delivered using WaterML specification or are they out of scope? 

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Best regards,

Wideke Boersma

• Katharina SCHLEIDT

By Katharina SCHLEIDT

Dear Wideke,

While I'm not that familiar with the INSPIRE Geology models, to my view, the groundwater level measurements clearly fall into the INSPIRE Environmental Monitoring Theme. Looking at the Geology Data Model, the featureType ActiveWell provides an association to an EnvironmentalMonitoringFacility (EF), where in turn full information on the groundwater level as well as other parameters measured at this location should be provided.

The specifications were purposely kept separate as the EF concepts can be reused across diverse environmental media (i.e. the same EF structure can be utilized to provide groundwater levels, surface water quality, or also air quality or biodiversity species occurrence). Thus, they are only referenced within the other thematic domains.

For more information on the EF concept, you may wish to subscribe to the Environmental Monitoring & Observations group (be aware that most of your existing subscriptions got lost in the revamp of this portal!). For example, we have a nice list of examples available:

https://inspire.ec.europa.eu/forum/pages/view/30357/efom-best-practices

:)

Kathi

• Wideke BOERSMA

By Wideke BOERSMA

Thanks. We will look into it.

Can I ask a additional question related to groundwater. Where does the quality of the groundwater fall under? Also EF or theme Human Health and Safety (HH; featuretype EnvHealthDeterminantMeasure)? 

Best regards, Wideke

• Katharina SCHLEIDT

By Katharina SCHLEIDT

Hi Wideke,

based on my work with air quality data, such data clearly falls into the EF theme; at least this is where I'd expect to find the primary water quality measurements, together with descriptions of the stations where this has been measured.

HH EnvHealthDeterminantMeasure could be utilized for derived products, i.e. areas with known poor water quality, but I haven't heard of such deployments to date. Also, please be aware that there are some issues with HH EnvHealthDeterminantMeasure, see the following discussions:

https://inspire.ec.europa.eu/forum/discussion/view/261192/envhealthdeterminantmeasure-how-to-express-the-type-of-noise-measure

:)

Kathi

Earth Science

Earth Science

Join this group to share your knowledge, learn and collaborate with INSPIRE Earth Science Cluster for Geology, Soils, Natural Risk Zones, Mineral resources, and Energy resources