European Commission logo
INSPIRE Community Forum

Abnormal behavior of GeoNetwork metadata editor when processing the 'operatesOn' metadata field

Dear All,

While working with GeoNetwork version 3.0.6 we have run into the issue described below.

When we import into GeoNetwork service metadata files containing the <srv:operatesOn> field and open them in editing mode, all content within this element disappears.

After having opened one of these file in editing mode, if we analyse the XML that remains stored in GeoNetwork we verify that only the opening and closing labels of the element operatesOn (i.e. the <srv:operatesOn> and <srv:operatesOn/> XML tags) remain encoded in the file, but not the content of the field which disappears.

Interestingly, if the metadata file is not opened in editing mode and we export it directly to XML, it does retain the contents of the <srv:operatesOn> field.

We have performed several tests with other versions of GeoNetwork, confirming the same abnormal behavior.

Since the main role of the <srv:operatesOn> field is implementing the data-service linking (i.e. linking the service metadata file to the metadata files of the dataset and layers used by the service), it would be essential to assure its correct management in the GeoNetwork catalogue.

Note that <srv:operatesOn> field is mandatory when the coupling (<srv:couplingType>) between the service metadata and the dataset/layers metadata is set to strong (value "tight") or mixed (value "mixed") type. 

We would like to share our experience with the INSPIRE Community Forum community and specially get to know if other users of the GeoNetwork metadata editor have reproduced the same issue. And if so, if they have found any workaround.

Thank you in advance.

Jordi

  • Paul van Genuchten

    By Paul van Genuchten

    Hi Jordi, I duplicated your issue to https://github.com/geonetwork/core-geonetwork/issues/4183 so also that community is aware. I don't recognise your issue from more recent versions of geonetwork, so i recommend you to update your version (it also has many improvements related to use of anchors in TG2).

    Verify this file https://github.com/geonetwork/core-geonetwork/blob/fd44c1fa14d818e6272e97b90f085fa98370fbe1/schemas/iso19139/src/main/plugin/iso19139/layout/config-editor.xml#L1065 to see if all xpath expressions are properly set up.

     

  • Jordi ESCRIU

    Hi Paul,

    Again many thanks for your guidance!

    I do not remember now with which versions of GeoNetwork we test / play to check if the abnormal behavior was reproduced. Probably they were versions to so far from v3.0.6.

    What is the last stable GeoNetwork version you recommend to update to?

    Jordi

  • Jordi ESCRIU

    Dear All,

    Anyone else has experienced similar behavior in the most recent versions of GeoNetwork?

    Good to have more feedback and experiences on this.

    Jordi

  • Paul van Genuchten

    By Paul van Genuchten

    GeoNetwork 3.8 has some improvements related to TG2, like selecting a keyword-from-inspire-thesaurus for use in anchors at various locations in the metadata. This functionality is really usefull considering the TG2 requirements. However mind that we're still in the process of optimising and documenting GeoNetwork to create fully compliant TG2 metadata.

    I have not seen the type of challenges you mentioned with the operatesOn element in recent geonetwork editions.

     

  • Jordi ESCRIU

    HI again Paul,

    Many thanks for your input.

    From your words I understand that GeoNetwork 3.8 is a good option to update to.

    Regarding the anchors topic, I think it would deserve a separate discussion topic.

    All the best,

    Jordi