European Commission logo
INSPIRE Community Forum

Can Geopackages be used for INSPIRE?

Jandirk BULENS
By Jandirk BULENS Replies (2)

I have a some of questions regarding the use of geopackages for INSPIRE.  For Soil and Geology we are currently realising  the base registration for these data in NL. within the team the question arose to what extent the use of GML (ie WFS) is binding for publication for INSPIRE. In my opinion GML is a preferred (standard) format and not binding. I have noticed that in the MIG action 2017.2 is working on coding in JSON, which probably already confirms this.

In our case we now use Geopackages, also because PDOK is now switching to Geopackages, so, my questions are:

• Is also work done already for Geopackages?
  • What is needed to comply to INSPIRE when Geopackages are used instead of GML do we need to publish specific schema conversion rules to the existing schema’s?
  • Do we need to clarify why GML is not used in our case?
  • Can simple (flat) structures be used instead of the complex features that may exists in the data specifications? .. and what does this mean for the ‘harmonising’ obligation

There is probably more to take into consideration, but for now I hope some clarity can be provided for this case (and probably also other cases)

• Michael LUTZ

Dear Jandirk,

The relevant legal obligation on encodings is Article 7 of the IR:

Article 7 - Encoding
    1. Every encoding rule used to encode spatial data shall conform to EN ISO 19118. In particular, it shall specify schema conversion rules for all spatial object types and all attributes and association roles and the output data structure used. 
    2. Every encoding rule used to encode spatial data shall be made available.

So basically, you have to specify and publish the conversion rules for your selected encoding rule. For GML (and now also GeoJSON for some themes), this has already been done in the TG or Good Practice document.

On your detailed questions:

• Is also work done already for Geopackages?

Yes, there is some on-going work in AT and ES. See presentations 13.3 and 13.4 the last MIG-T meeting for details.

• What is needed to comply to INSPIRE when Geopackages are used instead of GML do we need to publish specific schema conversion rules to the existing schema’s?

No, only to conversion rules to the conceptual (UML) model. Please see the results of the 2017.2 action for a template for an alternative encoding rule.

• Do we need to clarify why GML is not used in our case?

No. But it might be worth promoting your adopted encoding rule through the Community Forum and eventually (if it is picked up by other organisations or MS) as an INSPIRE Good Practice.

• Can simple (flat) structures be used instead of the complex features that may exists in the data specifications? .. and what does this mean for the ‘harmonising’ obligation

Yes, if you can define a mapping from the conceptual model to the flat structure (this might be cumbersome in some cases, depending on the source data). 

Hope this helps,
    Michael

• Jandirk BULENS

By Jandirk BULENS

Dear Michael,

Thanks for the clarification, and yes this helps, I will use discuss it with the colleagues and decide how to proceed!

Jandirk.