European Commission logo
INSPIRE Community Forum

Availability of Elevation data in the INSPIRE Thematic Viewer

• General

The INSPIRE Community Forum is now part of the INSPIRE helpdesk system, based on GitHub (https://github.com/INSPIRE-MIF), so please start there any new discussions.

The current platform will remain available in read only mode in its current form and URL address until 31/01/2021, then its content will be archived and then published in a different URL which will be announced when it becomes available.

Dear colleagues, 

I would be willing to share with you a humble assessment based on public statistics taken from the INSPIRE Thematic Viewer about the availability of Elevation data harvested for INSPIRE purposes (* see the Note at the bottom of the present post entry).

On 15th April 2020 the INSPIRE Thematic Viewer counts with 3799 metadata records related to Elevation resources (was 4646 on 20th November 2019; was 3874 on 22nd June 2018):

• 115 of them being viewable data sets from countries (37 of them having National coverage, belonging to 14 out of 31 countries) – Provided by Austria (14), Belgium (9), Czech Republic (2), Denmark (1), Estonia (2), Finland (1), Germany (24), Hungary (1), Iceland (1), Italy (24), Latvia (1), Liechtenstein (1), Lithuania (1), Luxembourg (4), Malta (3), the Netherlands (5), Norway (7), Portugal (7), Slovakia (1), Spain (5) and Sweden (1).
  • Czech Republic, Iceland, Latvia, Slovakia and Sweden started to provide viewable data sets in the period from 20th November 2019 to 15th April 2020.
  • France and Romania lost their viewable data sets in the period from 20th November 2019 to 15th April 2020. The UK left the European Union.

• 79 of them being downloadable data sets from countries (22 of them having National coverage, belonging to 8 out of 31 countries) - Provided by Austria (10), Belgium (6), Finland (1), Germany (7), Hungary (1), Italy (24), Latvia (1), Lithuania (1), Luxembourg (6), Malta (1), the Netherlands (1), Norway (13) and Portugal (6).
  • Italy and Latvia started to provide downloadable data sets in the period from 20th November 2019 to 15th April 2020.
  • France, Iceland, Romania and Spain lost their downloadable data sets in the period from 20th November 2019 to 15th April 2020.

Initial conclusions

1. Elevation data sets reported remained quite stable in the period from 22nd June 2018 to 15th April 2020, with a slight decrease of 1.9% (from 3874 to 3799).

It could be produced by refinements of the criteria used to select Elevation data sets to be reported.

2. Reporting of Elevation viewable data sets has been importantly reduced, decreasing in a 57.9% from 20th November 2019 to 15th April 2020 (from 273 to 115).

This could be caused by that the situation that reporting of viewable data sets is progressively focusing on INSPIREd Elevation data sets, rather than other Elevation data sets not transformed according the Directive.

3. Reporting of Elevation downloadable data sets has experimented a relevant increase of 139.4% from 22nd June 2018 to 15th April 2020 (from 33 to 79).

This seems encouraging taking into account that the deadline for providing conformant download services is October 2020. However, the most interesting indicator here would be the conformance of such downloadable data sets according the Directive. Hopefully available in short.

4. Only 14 out of 31 countries seems to have National coverage of viewable INSPIRE Elevation data sets, which represents a 45.2% of all of them.

5. Only 8 out of 31 countries seems to have National coverage of downloadable INSPIRE Elevation data sets, which represents only a 25.8% of all of them.

6. At the moment, there is no information about the difference in availability of land-elevation and bathymetry data.

Brainstorming

I would be willing to start with you a discussion / brainstorming about the most important factors hindering the interoperability of European Elevation data.

Please, feel free to add your personal views on the state of implementation of INSPIRE Elevation data and report any existing drawbacks to achieve this goal on time, ideally pointing at your own examples and direct experiences in your country.

(*) NOTE: The statistics presented in this discussion thread related to the Elevation theme were gathered from the INSPIRE Thematic Viewer on 15th April 2020, 20th November 2019 and 22nd June 2018. Statistics currently available in this viewer are regularly updated over time.

• Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

By Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

Hi Jordi,

Thank you for this nice overview.

I wonder, when you looked through the Geoportal in the EL and OI themes, could you find some examples (GML, ATOM) providing data that seemed be shared in a harmonised form or was everything shared more or less in an 'as is' form?

Looking in to the nationalwide examples, I didn't run to any implementation from the LC and LU themes, that had implemented the raster data models and I'm therefore looking into examples from other themes.

Could you please guide me to more less INSPIRE complient examples data providers provide harmonised raster data from an ATOM-feed? I know that the provision of data using an ATOM-feed isn't in many way optimal, but from what I've understood it is not yet possible to provide fully INSPIRE-harmonised data (aligned with the raster data models of the TGs) from a WCS service produced for example with GeoServer. Correct me if I'm wrong :)

Kind regards,

Lena

• Jordi ESCRIU

Dear Lena,

Sorry for the delay in answering.

As far as I know, at the moment there is no information available in the INSPIRE Thematic Viewer about how many (or which percentage of) datasets are provided in an harmonised form. I.e. how many are provided 'as is' and how many are provided in conformance of the INSPIRE Directive.

This is hopefully something that will come up soon in the INSPIRE Geoportal as a result of the Monitoring 2019 exercise, since it is one of the key aspects for making a consistent assessment about the status of INSPIRE implementation.

At the moment I have no updated trace about ATOM-feed services provided according the current INSPIRE schemas, but it would be possible for me to update some of the examples provided through the INSPIRE Community Forum in the past in order to get them refreshed. However, usability of data shared through such type of services is questionable.

Alternatively, there is a lot of work done (Peter Baumann, Kathi Schleidt and myself) in order to establish an interoperable, OGC compliant, way of providing WCS a service in conformance of the INSPIRE Directive - See the links below:

Dedicated page

https://inspire.ec.europa.eu/forum/pages/view/265454/an-effective-good-practice-to-boost-interoperable-provision-of-raster-inspire-coverage-data-and-services

Related discussion:

https://inspire.ec.europa.eu/forum/discussion/view/265095/inspire-coverages-demo-service

The progress of this proposal had been reported overtime through the MIG-T and dedicated workshops in the last INSPIRE Conference events. We hope that MIG-T is finally pushing a formal development of this proposal driven by the appropriate support form a majority of Member States representatives. This is the only way to solve the INSPIRE WCS issues identified during the last years.

Last fresh news I have is that these issues and the previous proposal for resolution have been discussed during the last MIG-T virtual meeting in mid-May - I am keen on knowing more details about the final outcome!

Look forward to getting your support and spread the word.

Jordi

• Jordi ESCRIU

Dear colleagues, 

Continuing with the assessment of availability of Elevation data based on public statistics taken from the INSPIRE Thematic Viewer harvested for INSPIRE purposes (* see the Note at the bottom of the present post entry).

On 28th November 2020 the INSPIRE Thematic Viewer counts with 4852 metadata records related to Elevation resources (3799 on 15th April 2020; 4646 on 20th November 2019; 3874 on 22nd June 2018):

• 284 of them being viewable data sets from countries – Provided by Austria (9), Belgium (10), Cyprus (1), Czech Republic (1), Denmark (3), Estonia (2), Finland (1), France (25), Germany (45), Hungary (1), Italy (142), Latvia (1), Liechtenstein (1), Lithuania (1), Luxembourg (6), Malta (3), the Netherlands (5), Norway (7), Portugal (11), Romania (1), Slovakia (1), Spain (5) and Sweden (1).
    • 44 of them having National coverage, belonging to 15 out of 31 countries.
    • Cyprus, France and Romania started to provide viewable data sets in the period from 15th April 2020 to 28th November 2020.
    • Iceland lost their viewable data sets in the from 15th April 2020 to 28th November 2020.

• 108 of them being downloadable data sets from countries - Provided by Austria (6), Belgium (7), Cyprus (1), Czech Republic (1), Finland (1), France (5), Germany (29), Hungary (1), Iceland (1), Italy (24), Latvia (1), Lithuania (1), Luxembourg (6), Malta (1), the Netherlands (1), Norway (12), Portugal (8), Romania (1) and Spain (1).
    • 27 of them having National coverage, belonging to 10 out of 31 countries.
    • Cyprus, Czech Republic, France, Iceland, Romania and Spain started to provide downloadable data sets in the period from 15th April 2020 to 28th November 2020.
    • None of the countries lost their downloadable data sets in the period from 15th April 2020 to 28th November 2020.

Initial conclusions

1. Elevation data sets reported considerably improved in the period from 15th April 2020 to 28th November 2020, with an important increase of 27.7% (from 3799 to 4852).

It could be produced by refinements of the criteria used to select Elevation data sets to be reported. Additionally, because countries are informing more Elevation datasets due that the deadline for providing data compliant to the Implementing Rule on Interoperability of Spatial Data Sets and Services has already expired for this spatial data themes (as for all INSPIRE themes) according to the roadmap of the INSPIRE Directive.

2. Reporting of Elevation viewable data sets has been more than doubled, increasing in a 147.0% from 15th April 2020 to 28th November 2020 (from 115 to 284).

With this increase, this statistic has returned to levels gained by end of 2019, with a slight improvement.

3. Reporting of Elevation downloadable data sets has experimented a relevant increase of 36.7% from 15th April 2020 to 28th November 2020 (from 79 to 108).

This is positive but clearly not enough, taking into account that the deadline for providing conformant download services is already expired (October 2020).

Note that the most interesting indicator here would be the conformance of such downloadable data sets according the Directive. Hopefully available in short in the INSPIRE Geoportal.

4. Only 15 out of 31 countries seems to have National coverage of viewable INSPIRE Elevation data sets, which represents a 48.4% of all of them. The statistic shows a very slight increase compared to the result obtained on 15th April 2020 (45.2%).

5. Only 10 out of 31 countries seems to have National coverage of downloadable INSPIRE Elevation data sets, which represents only a 32.3% of all of them. The statistic shows an increase compared to the result obtained on 15th April 2020 (25.8%).

6. At the moment, there is no information about the difference in availability of land-elevation and bathymetry data, which would be very relevant.

Brainstorming

Please, feel free to add your personal views on the state of implementation of INSPIRE Elevation data and report any existing drawbacks hindering their interoperability, ideally pointing at your own examples and direct experiences in your country.

(*) NOTE: The statistics presented in this analysis, related to the Elevation theme, were gathered from the INSPIRE Thematic Viewer on 28th November 2020, 15th April 2020, 20th November 2019 and 22nd June 2018. 
    Statistics currently available in this viewer are regularly updated over time.

Elevation, Ortho & Grids

Elevation, Ortho & Grids

INSPIRE Thematic Cluster Elevation, Orthoimagery, Reference systems, Geographical grids - Join this group to share your knowkledge, learn and collaborate in solving issues related to the Elevation, Orthoimagery, Reference systems and Geographical grids themes