European Commission logo
INSPIRE Community Forum

Model of tide currents in INSPIRE?

Hi everyone,

I am currently working on the transformation of models of tide currents along the French coast. Clearly the data falls under the OF scope I have no doubt about that.
But as it is a model for tide currents the phenomenonTime is not an absolute time (2020-08-05T16:49:00) but a relative time. I have one grid for each hour before and after the high tide.
Does that make this data out of scope? Can I skip the TM_Instant for the phenomenonTime and still provide a valid GML?
What do you think about it?

Fanny Lecuy
Shom (French hydrographic office)

• Katharina SCHLEIDT

By Katharina SCHLEIDT

Hi Fanny,

very interesting Use Case!

Still trying to understand exactly what you're trying to provide, to my understanding the data is not measured but generated by a model. Does this model-output then refer to the result (not sure what the result is yet, please provide more info) that is always valid 1hr before high tide?

To phenomenonTime - this is specified as TM_Object not TM_Instant (this is just one of the many TM_Types you can use), so you'll probably need one of the other TM_Types for your use case. The types derived from TM_Primitive all have a relativePosition attribute that seems relevant. Also, there's a TM_Duration Type in the UML Model.

Look at temporal.xsd (or maybe temporalTopology.xsd), could well be something there that fits your needs

:)

Kathi

• Fanny LECUY

Hi Kathi,

Thank you for the very prompt answer.

Yes, the data is not measured but generated by a model. The result is a collection of georeferenced points with two parameters (speed and direction). The result is always valid 1hour before high tide with no matter to the real time of the high tide.

I got confused because I overlooked the "SHOULD (even written in all caps) be encoded using the ISO8601" in the O&M guide about observation-time.

I will look into the TM_Object world, thank you.

Fanny

• Katharina SCHLEIDT

By Katharina SCHLEIDT

Hi Fanny,

if you do find something worthwhile, could you please share?

Thanks!

:)

Kathi

Marine & Atmosphere

Marine & Atmosphere

Oceanographic Geographical Features, Sea Regions, Atmospheric Conditions and Meteorological Geographical Features