European Commission logo
INSPIRE Community Forum

SpeciesDistribuionUnit and derived (or aggregated) data

Ludovico Frate
By Ludovico Frate Replies (5)

Hello Everyone, I have data about the distribution of a species in a regular grid (1kmX1km) where the information is the presence or absence of the species (the value can be present or absent). I've already done the mapping procedure. Now, from this data we've derived other spatial representation such as the distribution in 10X10 km grid, the Extent of Occurrence and the Area of Occupancy (https://support.ala.org.au/support/solutions/articles/6000208436-area-of-occupancy-and-extent-of-occurrence). Do these derived data should follow the INSPIRE implementation rules? If yes, Should I refer to the original data source? Only in the metadata lineage or elsewhere? Thanks.

• Stefania MORRONE

By Stefania MORRONE

Hi Ludovico,

answer is 'YES' to both your questions: you need to harmonise to INSPIRE and refer the original data source in the metadata lineage.

Kind regards,

Stefania

• Ludovico Frate

By Ludovico Frate

Thank you Stefania. For the Extent Of Occurrence (EEO) where the geometry is the minimum convex polygon derived from species' presence points, is there a way to codify the occurrenceCategory? Indeed, within the EOO we don't know if  the species is actually present or not.

Similar issue applies to distribution map derived from statistical methods such as Species Distribution Models where the probability of presences of a species is mapped.

• Dirk HINTERLANG

By Dirk HINTERLANG

Hi Ludovico,

I suggest to use one of the categories of https://inspire.ec.europa.eu/codelist/CountingMethodValue

Kind regards, Dirk

• Ludovico Frate

By Ludovico Frate

Thank you Dirk. However, in this way, I'm forced to fill the information about OccurenceCategoryValue. For EEO which is only a geometrical representation of presence data, we do not know if the species is actually present within the polygon. Thus, I should fill the OccurenceCategoryValue as "present" and the countingMethod as "calculated".

However, I can't find a suitable countingUnit and the populationSize is unknown.

• Dirk HINTERLANG

By Dirk HINTERLANG

Hi Ludivico,

I suggest to use void reason unpopulated for countingUnit and void reason unknown for populationSize.

Hope this helps, Dirk

Biodiversity & Area Management

Biodiversity & Area Management

If themes like Protected Sites, Area Management/Restriction/Regulation Zones and Reporting Units, Habitats and Biotopes, Species Distribution, Bio-geographical Regions matters to you, join these groups!