European Commission logo
INSPIRE Community Forum

Codelist for Corine Land Cover (CLC) published

Dear colleagues,

I am pleased to inform you that we have now published the CLC nomenclature codelist in a referencable format.

http://dd.eionet.europa.eu/vocabulary/landcover/clc 

Please have a look at the EEA Data Dictionary and don't hesitate to contact in case of questions or feedback.

Best regards on behalf of the EEA-INSPIRE team

Christian Ansorge

• Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

By Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

Thanks Christian. That's great news!

The CLC nomenclature code list contains the third level CLC codes.

Any suggestions from your side so far regarding the use of the first and second level CLC nomenclature, and/or regarding fourth and fifth level national CLC nomenclatures?

Lena

• Michael LUTZ

Dear Christian, Lena,

we need to have a discussion on how to handle the CLC code list in general in INSPIRE. In the LC data specification (Annex C), it is defined as an empty code list with Identifier http://www.eea.europa.eu/data-and-maps/data/corine-land-cover-2006-raster-1/corine-land-cover-classes-and/clc_legend.csv/at_download/file and a number of "recommended values that may be used by data providers", e.g. 111 - Continuous urban fabric.

In my view, the CLC code list recently published by EEA should

Maybe this is something we could discuss in the MIWP-6 sub-group on registers and registries.

What do you think?

Michael

• Christian ANSORGE

By Christian ANSORGE

@Lena

The recently published CLC codelist is replacing the 3rd level nomenclature CSV-file in terms of format (content is the same) mainly to serve as reference for CLC INSPIRE implementation. We are focusing on the 3rd level nomenclature as this is actually used for the pan European dataset EEA is hosting.

If countries use extensions (more detailed than 3rd level of CLC nomenclature) for their national land cover inventories, I would see this as cases for national registries as long as there is no clear European use case.

@ Michael 

I think this is a nice case to discuss the different options in MIWP-6. :-)

• Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

By Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

Thanks Michael and Christian for taking the Corine Land Cover code list issues to discussion to the MIWP-G sub-group on registers and registries.

I closed the other discussion topic related to the CLC code list. Please note that the old discussion thread also contains information on how to implement the RelatedParty (responsibleParty) and Contact data types and for the externalDescription if the CLC code list maintained by EEA is used.

• Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

By Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

Hi,

Is there or will there be support for other languages in the CLC code list? That is, can we refer to it 1) only by using class labels in English or 2) also by using class labels in for example Finnish?

Lena

• Christian ANSORGE

By Christian ANSORGE

Hej Lena,

I am sorry but we will not provide the CLC codelist multilingual, also because EIONET Data Dictionary isn't supporting multilingual versions of code lists. 

The notation and therefore the URI of the values is intentionally chosen to be language neutral. Therefore the codes can be used independent from the actual language and only the labels are in English.

Best regards

Chris

• Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

By Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

Hi Christian, Michael, all,

Have you already discussed and reached an agreement on how to handle the CLC code list in general in INSPIRE in the MIWP-6 sub-group on registers and registries or elsewhere?

According to Michael the CLC code list  published by EEA should:

If possible, it would be good to put this issue in place together with the exlusion of references to the old CorineValue code list in the TG on LC as proposed here. That is in case this proposal is endorsed by the MIG.

Best regards,

Lena

Land Cover & Use

Land Cover & Use

Join this group to share your knowledge, learn and collaborate in solving issues related to the Land Cover and Land Use themes