European Commission logo
INSPIRE Community Forum

Experiences on encoding of Elevation and Orthoimagery coverages

Most information to be provided by Member States concerning the Elevation and Orthoimagery INSPIRE themes - except few exceptions - shall be expressed using the raster spatial representation type (raster format).

This is modelled within INSPIRE models reusing the concept of ‘coverage’ from ISO 19123 (extended for the purpose). Other INSPIRE themes, such as Geology (GE), Atmospheric conditions & Meteorological geographical features (AC-MF), Oceanographic geographical features (OF), Species distribution (SD), Land cover (LC) or Energy resources (ER), follow the same harmonized approach for raster data.

At implementation level, this means data shall be encoded in GML - completely or partially (several options available: multipart representation, external file encoding, inline encoding).

Existing datasets in Member States are commonly implemented by using well-known image file formats supported by georeferencing capabilities, without being formally compliant to a pure coverage structure.

Encoding of coverages in GML is therefore one of the issues data providers have to tackle in the INSPIRE implementation by using appropriate software transformation tools.

• Julián DELGADO

By Julián DELGADO

Dear Kenneth,

Since my last experience with FME that i posted, i advanced to much dealing with XMLs, XSDs, INSPIRE and FME2015. Now i discovered that some complex attribuition from INSPIRE XSDs are recognized by FME like 'xml-xml' fragment. And i have to personalize manually the structure of the XML using a XMLTemplater transformer. So i can guess that FME reproduces, by separate attribute, those original INSPIRE attributes, and offers like XML fragments those more generic attribuition outside from INSPIRE.

We'll make a presentation, in a couple of weeks, during the FME world tour in Madrid, where we'll explain our new expriences generating ISNPIRE GMLs with FME2015 for land cover, land use and orthoimageries.

Taking the oportunity, i have a question about FME geometry... how can i obtain "gml:MultiSurfacePropertyType" from normal polygons in FME? Orthoimageries' footprints are coded so by INSPIRE, and i tried do it with 'fme_aggregated' but dosen't work.

Thanks in advance

Julián

• Julián DELGADO

By Julián DELGADO

Dear Kenneth, all,

I replay myself :) i found the way to create MultiSurface geometries in FME.

From original deaggregated geometries it is possbile to apply the Aggregator transformer, and then the MultipleGeometrySetter transformer (with the parameter equal to 'no'). The results are MultiSurface geometries compliant with INSPIRE XSDs.

Best regards

• Julián DELGADO

By Julián DELGADO

Dear all,

I share with you our experience from IGN Spain about transformation into INSPRIE application schemas of OI national datasets using FME 2015. FME is a flexible tool for managing geo-data, and we tested that it could be used for many INSPIRE transformation aspects.

As you will see in the attached files, I resolved the posible open issues about domaint extent and geographic referencce system, in a practical way. Please take it as an example of transformation. I also attach the GML result and the GFS file used for correct renaming of fields in GIS programmes.

Best regards

Julián

Example of INSPIRE transformation with FME - OI Example of Spanish OI dataset into INSPIRE (PNOA) Example of Spanish OI dataset into INSPIRE (PNOA) GFS file

• Julián DELGADO

By Julián DELGADO

Dear all

I countinued working with coverages encoding, where the range type data (=pixel values) is provided using a WCS service instead attached images files like ISO or INSPIRE propose. Below I put the foundamental XML labels, in order to share it and obtain advices from the rest of the community. Would it be well done? any idea on it? As you see I used a getCoverage request.

<gml:rangeSet>
        <gml:File>
         <gml:rangeParameters xlink:href="http://www.ign.es/wcs/mdt?service=WCS&request=GetCoverage&version=1.0.0&coverage=mdt:Elevacion25830_25&CRS=EPSG:25830&bbox=484387.5,4778987.5,512212.5,4798212.5&WIDTH=1113&HEIGHT=769&FORMAT=geotiff" xlink:role="http://www.opengis.net/spec/WCS_coverageencoding_geotiff/1.0/" xlink:arcrole="fileReference"/>
         <gml:fileReference>geoserver-GetCoverage.tiff</gml:fileReference>
         <gml:fileStructure/>
         <gml:mimeType>image/tiff</gml:mimeType>
         <!-- This encoding way is a proposal, required to be shared and validated with other encoding examples for coverages using WCS. Native CRS is used for data providing -->
         <!-- WCS provides the coverage in the native reference systems (EPSG:25830 and national altimetric system) -->
        </gml:File>

Best regards

• Jordi ESCRIU

Dear colleagues,

I want to draw your attention to the following discussion thread in the Elevation subgroup, asking to provide more guidance on how to implement an Elevation Grid Coverage and sample data using GMLCOV:

https://themes.jrc.ec.europa.eu/discussion/view/42326/need-more-guidance-for-elevation-encoding-and-correct-example-for-elevationgridcoverage-on-the-basis-of-gmlcov-schema

Obviously, an extension of the present discussion but specifically focused on the EL theme.

Julian also published his last example there.

Hence, I proceed to close this discussion topic.

Please, look for more examples and advances in the specific discussion topics on encodign of INSPIRE coverages.

This discussion is closed.

This discussion is closed and is not accepting new comments.

Elevation, Ortho & Grids

Elevation, Ortho & Grids

INSPIRE Thematic Cluster Elevation, Orthoimagery, Reference systems, Geographical grids - Join this group to share your knowkledge, learn and collaborate in solving issues related to the Elevation, Orthoimagery, Reference systems and Geographical grids themes