European Commission logo
INSPIRE Community Forum

Data specification on Buildings and schema problem with dateOfEvent

Dear Sirs/Madams,

I'm using Buildings schema (v3.0) to transform my buildings dataset in according to Data specification on Buildings (v.3.0).

For Buildings I can fill the following attribute:

-dateOfEvent.begin
-dateOfEvent.any
-dateOfEvent.end

with a complete date or with year only (see image below pg.177-178 of DS) to describe dateOfCostruction, dateOfDemolition or dateOfRenovation of a building.

The problem is that in the schema, the attribute type of begin/any/end is a datetime:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#dateTime

http://www.w3schools.com/schema/schema_dtypes_date.asp

then I can't specify an year because dateTime require YYYY-MM-DD date format.

The new Building schema v.4.0 has the same problem.

Can you offer any advice in this situation?

Regards
Giuseppe P.

• Michal MED

Dear Giuseppe,

I do not have this problem, because we have either exact date or nothing, but in my oppinon, you can set up range from the first day of the year to the last day of the year. Semantically it means, that "the object was constructed sometime between begin date and end date".

Michal Med

• Giuseppe Procino

By Giuseppe Procino

you can set up range from the first day of the year to the last day of the year

Hi Med,

It's a workaround to pass data validation, but in my opinion, semantically it is wrong becouse if I write the exact date (YYYY-MM-DD) it means that it is true. The example of data specification is clear: I can fill the attributes with year only:

-producer know that costruction took place between 1800 and 1900

beginning-->1800

end-->1900

any-->void

Maybe there is an error within building schema.

Giuseppe

• Dominique LAURENT

By Dominique LAURENT

During discussions within TWG BU, our understanding was that DateTime could be filled:

- with  full date + time (YYYY-MM-DD-HH-MM-SS...)

- with full accurate date (YYYY-MM-DD)

- with part of the date (e.g. YYYY-MM or YYYY)

If TWG BU understanding of type DateTime was wrong, a change in BU data specifications would be relevant. Would there be a more relevant type of attribute?