European Commission logo
INSPIRE Community Forum

Thematic observations - scope of DS

Hej,

We currently had a discussion on the scope of the themes and challenges related to this. This discussion on the actual scope of the data specifications is cross thematic indeed, but I considered this cluster as the most useful for clarification as it is closely related to observation data.

Scope: We are currently looking into different ways how to model marine data using INSPIRE data specs. This is the first check for general feasibility, not a full mapping. 

Data: Sample data observing characteristic of marine species (but not the species distribution as such), which contributes to environmental assessments in this area. 

Problem: My first intention, to model this data as Oceanographic Features, seems to be ruled out as the OF TG states explicitly that "direct measurements of biological phenomena" aren't ocean features. The second option is Species Distribution which flags up two further issues. a) The scope of the SD lies on the Distribution characteristic and not on the characteristic of samples of the species. b) SD data model isn't isn't fitting to this specific requirements and seems to be extended.

I am writing this post in the hope to get some more opinion or suggestion on this scoping problem. Taking the limitations of AF and SD into account I would consider to model this thematic data as observation to an EMF. For me it is still not fully clear if any observation (regardless if it is fitting to other themes or none of them) can be linked to the respective EMF?

Thanks for views and feedback on this.

Best regards

Christian

• Katharina SCHLEIDT

By Katharina SCHLEIDT

Hi Chris,

would be easier if you told us a bit more about your data, what exactly do you mean by "Sample data observing characteristic of marine species"

The OF theme doesn't make sense, that's more on the physical characteristics of the ocean (and how this was determined by measurements)

We had long discussions between SD & EF. Conclusion: SD provides the distribution distribution polygon (plus basic info), if base observations are available they are provided by EF, and referenced from SD

Based on this logic, EF would be the place for this data. And yes, EF is fitting for all types of environmental observations including biodiversity surveys.

Does this help?

:)

Kathi

• Christian ANSORGE

By Christian ANSORGE

Thanks!

Basically confirms my own reasoning. :-)

There is a variety of marine observations we were discussing (e.g. concentration of chemicals in fish samples or biological observations on phytoplankton) which don't really fit to neither OF nor SD.

As I have "on the line", another related question. In the case of concentration of chemicals in fish samples, which aim at getting information on the status of marine environment, what is the feature of interest, the fish sample, the fish stock or the ocean (which is indirectly observed)? 

• Katharina SCHLEIDT

By Katharina SCHLEIDT

concentration of chemicals in fish samples - what's the FoI?

depends on how you're measuring your fishy chemicals!

assuming you're doing an analysis per fish, then aggregating up to determine the health of the water body

Then you're FoI would be the individual fish (well, should actually be a species point, the identification of the fish a seperate observation on this point (never know when it turns out to be something totally different - scientists! ;) )). These individual species point FoIs would then have the swarm as their sampledFeature (could also go directly to the fish stock in that part of the ocean). you could in turn provide an aggregated observation on chemicals in fish in that part of the ocean on this higher level feature

:)

Kathi

• Christian ANSORGE

By Christian ANSORGE

Thanks! :-)

• Anders RYDÉN

Hi, from a layman’s perspective, wouldn’t chemicals in fish samples also qualify in the theme HH as a Biomarker?

/Anders

• Christian ANSORGE

By Christian ANSORGE

Hej Anders,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I looked into the HH again and you are partly right. It also could fit under EnvHealthDeterminant. The scope of the monitoring activity is in the first place to determine the scope of marine waters, but of course this has a indirect impact on human health (which counts for almost all environmental themes). 

Personally I think that this kind of environmental sampling better fits to O&M observation (linked to a EMF), as HH doesn't suit for complex thematic observations. The observation model used in HH is yet another model then O&M and highly simplified.

Best regards

Chris

• Alessandro SARRETTA

By Alessandro SARRETTA

Hi Chris,

I totally agree with the answers Kathi provided, so I confirm that EF is (or can be) the right place where to describe all types of environmental observations.

I'd like simply to add here that the integrated result describing the "status of marine environment" could then be part of the AM when describing areas to be reported for legislative purposes.

Ale

Environmental Monitoring & Observations

Environmental Monitoring & Observations

Environmental Monitoring Facilities, Observations and Measurements