European Commission logo
INSPIRE Community Forum

Land Cover Example

Dear all,

I'm starting to trasform my Land Cover dataset (an italian municipality) in accorting to Inspire LC Data Specification.

Is there someone that who would like to share an example of geodatabase or gml file (small subset dataset) Inspire DS compliant?

Best regards

Giuseppe P.

• Fabio VINCI

Dear Giuseppe,

you can look at our (Epsilon Italia) best practice on "How to encode a raster dataset in accordance to INSPIRE “D2.8.II.2 Data Specification on Land Cover – Technical Guidelines“", available in the "smeSpire BEST PRACTICE CATALOGUE" (http://best-practices.smespire.eu/practices/59/).

Best regards

Fabio

• Giuseppe Procino

By Giuseppe Procino

Hi Fabio,

thank you for your support but I'm looking for an example with vector dataset. Do you have another example with LandCoverVector applcation schema?

Best regards

Giuseppe

• Fabio VINCI

Dear Giuseppe,

yes I have! ;-)

Here you can find an example of a Land Cover Vector gml file, made in the frame of the eENVplus project.

Best regards,

Fabio

• Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

By Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

Dear Giuseppe and Fabio,

A big thanks to you Fabio for providing these examples. I will look into them myself next week.

Giuseppe. We are in the process of testing ArcGIS for INSPIRE. We  have populated ESRI's Land Cover Core database template with Corine Land Cover data based on our present knowledge and understanding of the ESRI database template. You need ArcGIS for INSPIRE to smoothly make the contents INSPIRE compliant GML (Date -> DateTime, short attribute names -> INSPIRE attribute names, etc.).

We got the permission from ESRI to share their template with sample data from the Southern tip of Finland, city of Hanko. We have only used the template partly (no point data, not mosaic).

Best regards,

Lena

ESRI's Land Cover database template .

• Giuseppe Procino

By Giuseppe Procino

Dear Fabio and Lena,

thank you for providing these examples!

Fabio's gml contain "only" LandCoverDataset definition and there aren't LandCoverUnit elements. Fabio, could you share another example with LandCoverUnit elements?

Lena, Esri data model is very interesting because the physical data model is a clear implemetation of Land Cover DS.

"We have only used the template partly (no point data, not mosaic)." My opinion is that this job is correct because the data provider can use surface or point data and mosaic detail isn't mandatory and you have to use it only if you have two or more LCValue for feature (with relative percentage within LCUnit).

Currently, I prefer use HALE - opensource and joinup sw - because I can trasform my datasets into GML directly using Inspire Schema creating a model to data trasformation like ETL.

With your examples I can understand the correct way to populate the schema's attributes.

I don't understand why there isn't an example of implementation of DS for each dataset on Inspire website.

Best regards,

Giuseppe

• Fabio VINCI

Dear Lena,

thank you for sharing the ESRI "pseudo-INSPIRE" DB structure.

I had a look at the ESRI DB template for LC Vector and it seems not 100% suitable to manage LC vector data as required by INSPIRE.

For example:

• The "landCoverObservation" attribute of the "LandCoverUnit" feature type has multiplicity 1 to many, thus it should be managed in a separate table. The attributes of the "LandCoverObservation" data type should not be handled as attributes in the "lcvLandCoverUnit*" tables.

• Same situation for the "externalDescription" attribute of the "LandCoverNomenclature" data type. Furthermore it has a complex datatype (DocumentCitation) that cannot be managed by means of a single string field.

Best regards,

Fabio

• Stefania MORRONE

By Stefania MORRONE

Dear Giuseppe,

with regards to Fabio's gml , the 'LandCoverUnit' element is present indeed.

It is correctly encoded as member of the LandCoverDataset (according to Data Specification on Land Cover, "a Land Cover dataset is a collection of LandCover units". More specifically, with regards to UML diagram, 'LandCoverDataset' feature type is linked to the 'LandCoverUnit' feature type by means of the 'member' aggregation).

Here’s the encoding of the 'LandCoverUnit' element in the gml file

<lcv:LandCoverDataset >

…

<lcv:member>

<lcv:LandCoverUnit>

</lcv:LandCoverUnit>

</lcv:member>

</lcv:LandCoverDataset>

Best regards

Stefania

• Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

By Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

Dear all,

Thank you all for your contribution.

Good if our example can support you (Giuseppe) in getting started, even though the attribute names, structure and contents are not identical to the ones in the GML (HALE) that you will be using. Please note that the partly mandatory complex data types Contact and the externalDescription (mandatory due to constraint) has not fully implemented from our side yet.

The vector example GML provided by Fabio looks really useful if you’re mapping directly to GML with HALE or alike. I haven’t had time to look into it in details yet, however not all voidable reasons (nilReasons) seem to be encoded.

Regarding the externalDescription, I don’t see a problem with INSPIRE compliancy if the xml snippet to be loaded to the database can include information regarding several documents.

As this work funded by Life (LifeData) and the Finnish Environment Institute is in progress, changes have already been made to example data of the zip-file. I’ll let you know when/if new changes have been made.

I hope sharing this example data can help others in populating ESRI's LC database template and in general in understanding what is required by INSPIRE, even though I have to admit, that our example data it not yet perfect :)

Best regards,

Lena

• Stefania MORRONE

By Stefania MORRONE

Dear all,

In the following I’m providing an example of encoding for Land Cover Dataset alternative to the one provided by my collegue (@ Epsilon Italia) Fabio.

Despite the encodings being both correct, the one provided in this post allows a better visualization of gml dataset by means of GIS tools (‘LandcoverUnit’ elements are properly displayed in the map).

In the provided example, the ‘LandCoverUnit’:

• is defined as a different ‘gml featureMember ‘
    • is always encoded as ‘member’ of the ‘LandCoverDataset’ but it’s addressed by means of xlink:href

i.e.

<lcv:LandCoverDataset >

<lcv:member xlink:href="#LandCoverUnitID"></lcv:member>

</lcv:LandCoverDataset>
      </gml:featureMember>

<gml:featureMember>

<lcv:LandCoverUnit gml:id=" LandCoverUnitID "></lcv:LandCoverUnit>

…

</lcv:LandCoverUnit>
      </gml:featureMember>

Hope sharing this example may be of help ...

Best regards,

Stefania

This discussion is closed.

This discussion is closed and is not accepting new comments.

Land Cover & Use

Land Cover & Use

Join this group to share your knowledge, learn and collaborate in solving issues related to the Land Cover and Land Use themes