European Commission logo
INSPIRE Community Forum

Missing namespace declaration in embedded description

The EmbeddedDescription attribute lacks a specification in the Land Cover Vector application schema (xsd). It can be of data type any:

The Team of the EEA-Project (INSPIRE transformation of UA and CLC) suggest that the extension base instead should point at the ISO 19144-2 LCML schema. It would be necessary to reference to the correct namespace and to integrate it in the GML so that a validator could validate the embedded description according to the XSD of 19144-2 LCML. But first the ISO standard community needs to be informed about the need from INSPIRE of an official ISO 19144-2 LCML schema on which to point on, as this kind of xsd still is missing for this ISO standard.

best regards gebhard

• Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

By Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

Thanks for bringing this issue forward.

Yes, I agree that this should be on the list of issues to be fixed and I agree to this two-step manner.

Regarding step 1) Does any one know if there is a development of an ISO 19144-2 LCML schema already going-on (contact person, time table etc.)? Does any one know if there an official procedure for taking issues to the ISO standard community?

@ Gebhard. Regarding step 2) How could it be fixed? By adding the namespace of the ISO 19144-2 LCML schema to the Land Cover Nomenclature application schema? And should the extension base point at this particular schema? Please specify?

Best regards,

Lena

• Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

By Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

Hi,

I've found out that there are no plans to make a comprehensive unique XSD for the ISO 19144-2 LCML standard. So INSPIRE won't be able to point to an official ISO 19144-2 LCML schema (XSD), at least not for some time. We have to come up with another solution/suggestion, for solving this issue in the near future.

Lena

• Roland GRILLMAYER

By Roland GRILLMAYER

Hey Lena!
          It is a shortcoming that there is no official ISO 19144-2 schema available. I will discuss this issue with the ISO colleges during the next plenary session in Sydney. I hope WG7 of the ISO/TC211 has some resources to evaluate the existing schema which we have used within the EAGLE Contract 6 for the documentation the CLC nomenclature. But it is a fact that ISO 19144 is not useful if there is no official ISO schema available. I hope the members of WG7 will support an initiative to make an official schema available.

I will also discuss this issue within the ISO/TC211 - Harmonized Model Maintenance (HMMG) & XML Maintenance Group (XMG). If the existing CLC schema is not valid according the actual ISO19144-2 version, these groups are responsible to derive a schema directly from the UML model (harmonized model).

My opinion on this issue:
          1.) We need an official ISO Schema for ISO19144-2 LCML – Land Cover Meta Language
          2.) The official INSPIRE Schema LCV 4.0 must be revised. This revised INSPIRE Version must use the official ISO 19144-2 Schema  for the embedded description.

At the moment the best approach is to use no schema reference for the embedded description. Regarding the declaration of the data type for the embedded Description (xsd:anyType) using no reference should not lead to any error while the validation process against the existing official INSPIRE schema for land cover.

Best regards,
          Roland

• Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

By Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

Hi everyone,

To inform you all about the news regarding the ISO19144-2 Land Cover Meta Language standard.

In May 2018 a Land Cover workshop was held at the ISO TC/211 meeting in Copenhagen. Global needs, INSPIRE needs (e.g. see this presentation) and EAGLE opportunities were brought forward.

Decisions taken at ISO TC/211 plenary:
            - Invitation of FAO to initiate a project 0
            - Revision of ISO 19144-2 will be initiated after the Project 0 is finished.

There is an open invitation for LC and LU experts to participate in the Project 0 work. Contact your national standadisation body and register your interest before the deadline, 10th October 2018.

Lena

Land Cover & Use

Land Cover & Use

Join this group to share your knowledge, learn and collaborate in solving issues related to the Land Cover and Land Use themes.