European Commission logo
INSPIRE Community Forum

embedded description: second option (feature catalogue ISO 19109+19110) not realized in data model

This issue is as well related to the embedded description

Within the  Land Cover data specifications [D2.8.II.2 Data Specifications on Land Cover  - technical Guidelines] in introductory chapter5.3.1.1.3 “Land cover documentation and code lists”  the option is included to realize a formal description by using a feature catalogue (ISO 19109 and 19110). However in the XSD files no crossreference to any feature catalogue is found anymore. - so this Option is only included in narrative form, but not in the data model. I suggest to either delete the option of the narrative description in the INSPIRE dataspecifications technical guidelines or to include them in the XSD.

text p. 22:

The formal description can either be done by using the Land Cover Meta Language (LCML) defined by ISO standard (ISO 19144-2) or by using a Feature Catalogue as described in ISO 19109 and 19110 (Geographic information - Rules for application schema & Methodology for feature cataloguing).

p. 23:

The owners of the various code lists are, however, encouraged to document their code lists by using the upcoming ISO standard 19144-2 Land Cover Meta Language or by using a feature catalogue (ISO 19109 and 19110) and provide access to this documentation through a web link for interoperability.

• Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

By Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

Hi,

Thanks for pointing out this narrative feature catalogue option for describing your land cover classification.

I don't have access to the ISO standards, but after taking a look at the Norwegian SOSI-standard (general feature catalogue) and the dataset-specific product specifications (Word documents) at this site, I wonder if the intention here only has been to encourage data providers to describe their datasets in a standardised way in an external document. That is to me it seems that the feature catalogue option isn't intended for embedding a description (using embeddedDescription), but instead for providing the description by an external document (ie. the alternative externalDescription option). Then, as I understand it, we don't need to point to a xsd, but instead we need to describe this intention (ie. that you can use a feature catalogue according to ISO 19109 and 19110 when making your documentation and refer to it using the externalDescription  attribute) in the Technical Guidelines.

Do you agree that this is the intention or have I missed something?

Lena

• Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

By Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

Hi, 

As there were no objections to my interpretation of the intention, I will now proceed to close the topic.

Kind regards,

Lena

Land Cover & Use

Land Cover & Use

Join this group to share your knowledge, learn and collaborate in solving issues related to the Land Cover and Land Use themes