European Commission logo
INSPIRE Community Forum

INSPIRE-GE Data Model Implementation in Portuguese Geological Survey (LNEG)

Hello,

In LNEG we are trying to implement the INSPIRE-GE data model but there are some questions that I would like to discuss with somebody who has already implement it. I share with the group one of those questions hoping for any reply. 

LNEG should harmonize 4 datasets at different scales made of map sheets :

• 26 map sheets from the Digital Geological Map of Portugal, scale 1:50 000;
  • 4 map sheets from Digital Geological Map of Portugal, scale 1:200 000;
  • 2 map sheets from Geological Map of Portugal, scale 1:500 000;
  • 1 map sheet from the Geological Map of Portugal, scale 1:1000 000

I think it's better to have 4 INSPIRE-GE models serving the INSPIRE network services one for each scale of map production.

Any better idea will be very much appreciate. Thank you.

Aurete Pereira

• Irene ZANANIRI

By Irene ZANANIRI

Dear Aurete,

This is Irene from the Institute of Geology & Mineral Exploration (IGME) of Greece. We have had some experience in data harmonization according to the 1GE+ guidelines. We faced a different problem since we had a digital dataset in scale 1:50 000 and from that we wanted to create the 1M harmonized map. So what we did was to harmonize the lithology codelist in scale 1:50K and then using the harmonized terms by means of generalization made it to the 1M.

In your case I think it is much more straightforward since you have several distinct datasets and to my opinion it is better to have 4 different models since in each scale a different level of the hierarchy charts can be implemented. I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Irene Zananiri

Earth Science

Earth Science

Join this group to share your knowledge, learn and collaborate with INSPIRE Earth Science Cluster for Geology, Soils, Natural Risk Zones, Mineral resources, and Energy resources