European Commission logo
INSPIRE Community Forum

Is your data within the scope of NZ?

Matthew HARRISON
By Matthew HARRISON Replies (5)

Scope of NZ

• Matthew HARRISON

By Matthew HARRISON

A number of Geological Surveys and other data providers are currently checking whether their data is in scope of the Natural Risk Zones Data Specification.

Others such as ISPRA, the Italian Geological Survey have worked on European Funded projects- eENVplus to undertake a trial implementation.

• Lucie KONDROVA

By Lucie KONDROVA

Dear all,

I just wanted to assure myself that I understand the Natural Risk Zones DS correctly - I can imagine the observedEvent spatial object type as a spatial object (point, line or polygon) that represents a landslide that occurred in the past and has been mapped, and hazardArea as a hypothetical polygon that delineates an area where a landslide can happen in the future (i.e. a predictive map)?

I understand it that a geological survey should be the "natural hazards data provider" and maybe also the "vulnerability data provider" - but what if the geological survey doesn't have this predictive map of landslides - who should do it? And is there any best practice example of the risk layer and which institution provides it in different member states?

Thank you, Lucie.

• Carlo CIPOLLONI

By Carlo CIPOLLONI

Dear Lucie,

The first part is correct, the observedEvent represents an extraction of landslide layer (normally manage as Geomorphologic layer within Geology Data model) in a specific time windows. The HazardArea is something that you can derive in semi-automatic way (eENVplus project has provided an example between Italy and Slovenia http://showcase.eenvplus.eu/client/ep09.htm) or you can produce in your local machine an expose it as HazardArea layer (It is the case of LIFE-IMAGINE project http://www.life-imagine.eu/ - client: http://lifeimagine.graphitech-projects.com/; where we use the Hydrography district susceptibility map). In the same project we have also produced the Risk scenario map as RiskZone layer.

If a Geological Survey hasn’t produced an hazard map, this action is not mandatory. The potential add value of INSPIRE is to use the system to create one from the source data, following a specific predictive model.

Cheers,

Carlo

• Lucie KONDROVA

By Lucie KONDROVA

Thank you, Carlo.

Just to make it clear - if the hazardArea is not provided, neither riskZone can be calculated and provided, am I right?

Lucie.

• Carlo CIPOLLONI

By Carlo CIPOLLONI

Dear Lucie,

yes, you are right! But what I have also expressed is the potential use of INSPIRE NZ model to produce within a specific Hazard method in a semi-automatic way the HazardArea and then the RiskZone if you have Exposed and Vulnerability values.

Carlo

Earth Science

Earth Science

Join this group to share your knowledge, learn and collaborate with INSPIRE Earth Science Cluster for Geology, Soils, Natural Risk Zones, Mineral resources, and Energy resources