European Commission logo
INSPIRE Community Forum

Download services using ArcGIS for INSPIRE

Thomas CREPIN
By Thomas CREPIN Replies (8)

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to publish download service for administrative units using ArcGIS for INSPIRE. The problem is that I can't do it completely because, while I edit the advanced service properties, it gives me the following message:

[Service containing process crashed for 'INSPIRE/Test_AUDownloadService.MapServer'.Please see if an error report was generated in 'E:\arcgisserver\logs\FINVMINSPWEBD01.FINBEL.INTRA\errorreports'. To send an error report to Esri, compose an e-mail to ArcGISErrorReport@esri.com and attach the error report file.]

I've sent the report to ESRI, but no answer since about 2 months. Does anybody have experience using AG for INSPIRE for download services?

Thanks

• Alexander RAMAGE

By Alexander RAMAGE

Thomas - please can you identify what versions of ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS for Inspire you are using.  You need to be aware that ArcGIS for INSPIRE requires to have the data in an Enterprise Geodatebase.

Alex Ramage

• Thomas CREPIN

Alexander - thanks for your answer. I'm using ArcGIS for Desktop and for Server 10.2.1. I didn't know that ArcGIS for INSPIRE requires an enterprise geodatabase, I only use a file geodatabase. I'm not sure to understand how I can create such a geodatabase.

• Alexander RAMAGE

By Alexander RAMAGE

Thomas - You need to have 1 of the following databases in place:

1. Oracle 2. SQL Server 3. PostGis (I think)

You need to use ArcGIS Sever to create a spatial data engine link between the ArcGIS Desktop and the server and you need to be using ArcGIS Desktop Standard edition or better to create the geodatabase.  I am currently publishing some data in Scotland using a WFS suing ArcGIS Desktop 10.2.2 (for authoring), ArcGIS Server 10.2.2 and ArcGIS for INspire 10.2.2 with an SQL Server 2008 R2 enterprise geodatabase.

I hope this helps a little.

Alex Ramage

• Thomas CREPIN

I've added my data into a database server and then saved the connection. After this, I've created the service using this without completing the advanced properties into the capabilities of the the download service, so the publishing succeded. That's when I edit these advanced properties using ArcCatalog that the service crashes and is no more published. That's the same error I got previously.

• Dirk THALHEIM

Dear Thomas,

we had similar issues getting the ISNPIRE Extension running. On publishing a service the INSPIRE extension could be activated. But afterwards when we edited the advanced extension properties for this service and saved the changes, the update ran into a timeout and the service was stopped.

After an long support dialog and a really helpful web meeting with some ESRI developers we could identify the problem. As it showed up the network latencies between server and database were causing the problem. On our first approach the database and the ArcGIS server were running on different geographical locations. We experienced really poor performance accessing the database. So we moved the database to the same location and network and the problems went away.

To summarize our experience:

1. As Alex said use an enterprise geodatabase. We also started with a file geodatabase and experienced the same problems. Now we use a PostgreSQL 9.2 database.
    2. Server and database have to be in same location to reduce network latencies. Ideally put the database on the same server as ArcGIS for Server.
    3. Use English localization for ArcGIS when authoring the MXD. There is a Bug in the ArcGIS for INSPIRE Viewing Service Extension when editing the advanced properties.

I hope that helps.

Dirk Thalheim

• Thomas CREPIN

Dear Dirk,

Thanks for your answer, but my database and ArcGIS for Server are both located on the same server. I also used an enterprise geodatabase with SQLEXPRESS, but the problem still remains. I've sent the .dmp file - found in the folder errorReports - to ESRI at a specific mail address (ArcGISErrorReport@esri.com) as mentioned in the ArcGIS error message, but no answer since two months.

Thanks for your help.

Thomas

• Alexander RAMAGE

By Alexander RAMAGE

Thomas and Dirk.

I have just had a look at the documentation for ArcGIS and theb databases that they consider to be "Enterprise".

The listis:

DB2 9.x, Informix 11.x, Oracle 10g and 11g, PostgreSQL 9.x and SQL Server 2008 and 2012.

No mention is made regarding SQL Server Express edition.

This may be the issue.

Alex

• Thomas CREPIN

Ok, now I'm using an enterprise geodatabase with SQL Server 2008 R2, but the problem still remains. I can publish my INSPIRE services, but editing the advanced properties makes the service crash.