European Commission logo
INSPIRE Community Forum

Open Land Use Map

The Plan4business project (2012-2014) has identified a gap in land use data availability, especially outside big cities, in suburban and rural areas. The Urban Atlas of the European Environmental Agency covers only cities above 100,000 inhabitants. So for example in the Czech Republic, only 13 cities are covered. For the rest, there is the Corine Land Cover, which can be used only for regional and national analysis.

The lack of land use data on local level led to an idea of combining data from various sources and of different levels of detail into a seamless map. This idea has been picked up by the SDI4Apps project and turned into a pilot application (Pilot IV: Open Land Use Map through Volunteered Geographic Information). The innovative aspect of the pilot is not only in the methodology of combining data into a seamless database, but also in using crowdsourcing for data collection and update. An important aspect is that data are available as open data.

The methodology is simple:

1. All available open data from a certain territory are collected and stored in a database.
  2. These data are harmonised into a common data model based on the INSPIRE data specifications on land use and using the same HILUCS classification.
  3. Data of the highest level of detail (usually not covering the entire territory) are combined with data with second highest level of detail and so on (see the figure below).
  4. Data are published for download and as a WMS service.
  5. Data are updated through crowdsourcing, either online based on remote sensing images or directly in the field through a mobile application (not yet implemented).

The aim is to cover the entire Europe and then extend it to a global dataset. The first country that is now completed is the Czech Republic where the following open data sources were used:

1. Digital cadastre data (RUIAN, highest level of detail)
  2. Land Parcel Identification System (LPIS)
  3. Urban Atlas
  4. CORINE Land Cover

The steps undertaken for combining the data are shown in the following figure. 

The Open Land Use Map in the Czech Republic can be accessed at http://sdi4apps.eu/open_land_use/. There you can find more information about the dataset and links for data download. The map can be also inserted into any HTML websites as an embedded object (iframe).

The next country to be covered is Latvia.

• Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

By Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

Hi Tomas,

Thanks for sharing information on the Open Land Map with us.

I think it also would be very useful to see the mappings to HILUCS from the classifications of LPIS, UA and CLC. Are they available? Was the mapping straightforward and easy?

I also noticed that you will give an oral presentation related to this work at the INSPIRE Conference Wednesday 28 September 9 am, but you will probably not have time to get into these mappings then?

Kind regards,

Lena

• Tomas MILDORF

Hi Lena

First of all thank you for your comment and sorry for my late reply.

The mappings between different classifications are in this document:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10ihuiANlS7KfidGmI0hLRU_TVRx437VekS-40P_UnqY/edit?usp=sharing

It is mainly in Czech, but if there would be an interest, we can do the mappings in English too, that's no problem.

The presentation at the INSPIRE Conference will be quite brief introduction. But we can have a chat if you'll be there.

All the best

ToMas

• Julián DELGADO

By Julián DELGADO

Dear Tomas

I atended last week on the Open Land Use Map presentation in the INSPIRE Conference in Barcelona. The idea and scope of the initiave is really interesting. My organization (IGN Spain) coordinates the production and dissemination of National Land Cover and Land Use System (SIOSE in Spanish) under a free data access policy for any kind of users. Technical characteristics of SIOSE are: 1/25.000 scale, produced by integration of national (inc. LIPS and Cadastre) and regional data, reference date 2011, homogeneous for entire country and are just codified to HILUCS codes.

I mean that it could be very interesting think on to complete Open Land Use Map for Spain with SIOSE data. We are willing on it. Could it be possible? From our national producer vision would be interested to know first:

- How to preserve the data origin? It could be very interesting to inform about the athoritative origin of the data uploaded. For example by an attribute on the polygons.

- Easiness understanding of visualization platform. I watched now that it is only available Czech Repuplic and focused for Czech data. It would be changeable?

- Possibility to retrieve all those voluntary editions done by users in the future. These contribuitions can be re-utilised in new SIOSE versions.

All comments are wellcome.

My best regards

• Tomas MILDORF

Dear Julián

Thank you for your interest in the Open Land Use Map (OLU). We are interested to process the Spanish data and create OLU for Spain.

TO answer your questions:

1. The data origin is preserved in the OLU dataset. Each polygon has this as an attribute.

2. We are working on the pan-European visualisation. Currently, there are separate OLUs for the Czech Republic (http://sdi4apps.eu/open_land_use/), Latvia (http://sdi4apps.eu/open_land_use_lv/) and Slovakia (http://sdi4apps.eu/open_land_use_sk/).

3. At the end of November there should be a first version of an app for updating OLU. So then updates from certain regions can be distributed back to you.

As soon there are some news, I will inform you through this channel.

Cordially
    ToMas

• Julián DELGADO

By Julián DELGADO

Dear Tomas

Good news, it seems wonderful option to participate with LU data from Spain. About platform, it could be also possible a Spanish version, if you consider, because we have, thought open access, full Spanish coverages of orthophotos, dems, cartography, etc.

Our best regards

• Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

By Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

Dear Tomas,

Nice talking to you at the INSPIRE Conference. SYKE is always interested in crowd-sourced information which can be useful for validation, so here's a few links to help you get started with producing Open Land Use data for Finland.

Check out our Open Data site for Downloadable data and metadata in English. SYKE applies the Creative Commons BY 4.0 International license for its open dataset :

http://www.syke.fi/en-US/Open_information/Spatial_datasets

A question from my side. Can you use raster data in your approach to produce OLU?

In that case yes, then I recommend you to use this national 20 m HR CLC product, which is re-using for example LPIS and IACS information: 

CORINE Land Cover 2012, 20 m 30.9.2014 geotiff Metadata

The 3rd level CLC classes corresponds to the European CLC nomenclature, only the resolution is much better, that is 20 m.

To get an overview of the content, you can have a look at our INSPIRE WMS for our 'as is' CLC (HR and EU) data:

http://paikkatieto.ymparisto.fi/ArcGIS/services/INSPIRE/SYKE_Maanpeite/MapServer/WMSServer

If you need the Finnish LPIS in raw form check this metadata for more information.

Best regards,

Lena

• Tomas MILDORF

Dear Lena

Some time has passed, sorry for replying so late. Thank you very much for this useful information about open data in Finland. We will have a look at it.

We are currently not using raster data, but it's a good idea and we will consider that in the next developments.

We have currently finished a pan-European Open Land Use Map based on Corine, Urban Atlas, OpenStreetMap and in some countries on more detailed data sources (the website is still in progress, but the map covers the entire Europe http://sdi4apps.eu/open_land_use/).

Now, we will focus on improving the data by including local data sources, such as those you mentioned. Will keep you updated about the next progress.

Thanks again

Cordially
    ToMas

• Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

By Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

Dear Tomas,

Is it so that this activity or project is no longer active? Would you like to make a summary of your results or new activities related to Land Use?

If not, I'll close this discussion topic.

Lena

• Tomas MILDORF

By Tomas MILDORF

Hi Lena

We started producing Open Land Use map in Africa, from local data sources of various quality. We will also do some land use maps in South America. We get support from other projects to further develop the OLU map we started in the SDI4Apps project.

Cheers

ToMas

• Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

By Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

Hi Tomas,

Great to hear that your work with the Open Land use map is proceeding. Please let us know when you have some results to share. Any plans to continue to get full European coverage later on?

Best regards,

Lena

Land Cover & Use

Land Cover & Use

Join this group to share your knowledge, learn and collaborate in solving issues related to the Land Cover and Land Use themes