European Commission logo
INSPIRE Community Forum

codes for sea regions

emilio rubiera
By emilio rubiera Replies (2)

hi there,

i'm emilio rubiera working in the FP7 EU project DISASTER. i hope this topic won't be considered out-of-topic (if you will forgive me the repetition) here, but i have a question regarding standard codes used to identify oceans, seas and sea regions.

i'm familiar with the ones used by NATO and also with some others used by FAO, but my question is if within the INSPIRE initiative it is used some other codes to uniquely identify these maritime regions.

thanks in advance

e.

• Keiran MILLARD

By Keiran MILLARD

Hi Emilio,

SR does allow for the concept of named sea regions (e.g. North Sea) and this can be assigned an ID.  When this was developed we envisaged the IHO gazetter of seas would be used (http://www.marineregions.org) to provide the names - and also the coordinates for the sea region.

Keiran

• emilio rubiera

By emilio rubiera

hello keiran,

thank you very much for your prompt and useful reply. i remember i had bumped into this some months ago but somewhat i decided to prioritise the NATO and FAO ones.

No doubt that this seems more complete!

e.

This discussion is closed.

This discussion is closed and is not accepting new comments.

Marine & Atmosphere

Marine & Atmosphere

Oceanographic Geographical Features, Sea Regions, Atmospheric Conditions and Meteorological Geographical Features