European Commission logo
INSPIRE Community Forum

Relation LandCoverDataset -> LandCoverUnit

The way the Land Cover Vector application schema is modelled seems to give us some issues: a land cover dataset has a navigable relation towards the land cover units it consists of, in our case (see the metadata) that is a collection of 152893 units…

A consequence is that retrieving the feature of type LandCoverDataset from the service gives a result that fills over 18MB.

Is the way this is modelled really intentional? One could easily think of land cover data sets consisting of millions of land cover units...

• Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

By Lena Hallin-Pihlatie

Hi Heidi,

Thanks for bringing this issue on the agenda. Please check a previous discussion topic related to this issue, where I've brought forward that the same 'Member' association role has been modeled differently in LC and in LU.

I was not part of the TWG on LC, but I think that the intention has been to model this relation correct from a conceptual point of view, perhaps not being aware on the implications on WFS delivery at the time. But former members of TWG on LC, please correct me if I'm wrong...

What kind of solutions to this problem would you propose?

Best, Lena

• Christian ANSORGE

By Christian ANSORGE

I think from a data model perspective both, LC and LU, are correct. But Heidi, can you provide more details about your reasoning? Maybe we share the same concerns, as we looked at it from the CLC perspective. We were first surprised to see that each of the Units is modeled with individual InspireID and life-cycle information. In the case of pan-european CLC this increases the size of the dataset without having a obvious usecase (not on the landcover unit level).

I could (on a abstract level) imagine to keep the geometries of the units in a data type without individual INSPIRE ID and lifeCycleInfo, which should make it easier to handle and provide.

Land Cover & Use

Land Cover & Use

Join this group to share your knowledge, learn and collaborate in solving issues related to the Land Cover and Land Use themes