European Commission logo
INSPIRE Community Forum

Do you understand the scope of Activity Complex Generic Model? Let´s comment on it.

Angel LOPEZ ALOS
By Angel LOPEZ ALOS Replies (3)

Activity Complex was a Generic Model agreed between Facilities themes aiming to describe Facilities (Location of Economic Activities) at a common level of abstraction.

Idea was to reinforce interoperability and resolve the overlaps issues between Facilities related themes.

What´s your opinion, doubts and concerns about the scope of Activity Complex?

• Per SÖDERSTRÖM

By Per SÖDERSTRÖM

In my opinion Inspire themes should be constituted by spatial objects such as physical or administrative objects to which different kinds of information may be joined.

I’m therefore disturbed by the fact that facilities are considered as a subtype to the activity complex. In my mind the activity complex represents an (economic) activity that is performed at a facility but there certainly also are facilities without any ongoing activity.

A facility on the other hand is a physical object and it may be designed to host specific activities. This kind of design originates different subtypes to facilities (e.g. production and industrial facilities as mills, factories and quarries or service facilities as hospitals and schools, which should be reflected in the attributes of the facility.

My conclusion is that the activity complex properly should not be a part of the model for the PF or US themes. Instead there should be an attribute and a code list of facility type values.

This line of thinking also leads to the conclusion that facilities (i.e. physical objects) also should be placeholders for the services presented in the US theme.

• Jose Manuel VAZQUEZ

By Jose Manuel VAZQUEZ

As Angel says, Activity Complex is an "abstraction" that permits to describe a place, or a set of places, where some kind of activity is done.
    In other words, is a characteristic present in many INSPIRE themes, so the logical solution is consider it as a Generic Model in order to use it in different themes.
    I agree with this organisation. It make easier the documentation comprehension. I think is the same case that network model (also present in US theme).

• Heinrich GEERLING

By Heinrich GEERLING

One important UseCase of the data model of Facilities was and will be even more the licensing procedure of facilities:

4 Generic Activity Complex model

4.1 Overview

Because of this, Activity Complex must adhere to the requirements of horizontal datasets in which facilities are considered independently of their thematic scope (Emissions Directive, Waste Directive, SEVESO,...).

For those data providers in charge of datasets existing as result of these horizontal legislation requirements, the generic class is intended to be a simplification of the process avoiding the complexity of splitting datasets among thematic domains.

4.2.1 Spatial object types

4.2.1.1. ActivityComplex

Name: activity complex Definition: A "single unit", both technically and economically, under the management control of the same legal entity (operator), covering activities as those listed in the Eurostat NACE classification, products and services. Activity Complex includes all infrastructure, equipment and materials. It must represent the whole area, at the same or different geographical location, managed by a "single unit".

Description: NOTE 1 This class describes the minimal set of elements necessary to describe and identify geographically a legal entity and the activities taken place on it under the context of a Environmental purposes.

NOTE 2 "Activity Complex" could be assimilated to terms described on the legislation as Facility, Establishment, Plant, Holding, Organization ,Farm, Extractive Industries or Aquaculture Production Business among others EXAMPLE

i.e. an Agro-business that is legally registered under the Emissions Directive.

“             

4.2.2.5. Permission

Name: permission

Definition: Official Decision (formal consent) granting authorization to operate all or part of an Activity Complex, subject to certain conditions which guarantee that the installations or parts of installations on the same site operated by the same operator comply with the requirements fixed by a competent authority.

A permit may cover one or more functions and fix parameters of capacity. The term could be extended to other kind of certificates or documents of special relevance depending of the scope (e.g. ISO, EMAS, National Quality Standards, etc). The term may be extended to other kind of certificates or documents of special relevance depending of the scope (e.g. ISO, EMAS, National Quality Standards, etc).

http://inspire.ec.europa.eu/documents/Data_Specifications/D2.10.3_Activity_Complex_v1.0rc3.pdf

Having a closer look to the e.g. IED one will recognize, that this directive doesn’t make a difference of the kind of a facility in the sense of INSPIRE Annex I, II or III.

In the IED just the categories of activities are counting:

"

DIRECTIVE 2010/75/EU OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 24  November 2010

on industrial emissions (integrated pollution prevention and  control)

1. Energy industries
    2. Production and processing of metals
    3. Mineral industry
    4. Chemical industry
    5. Waste management
    6. Other activities

"

http://www.environ.ie/en/Legislation/Environment/Miscellaneous/FileDownLoad,30147,en.pdf

Of course out there are many small facilities, most of them do not fall under the threshold values of the IED directive and of other legislations.

But the authors of

“D2.10.3 INSPIRE Data Specifications – Base Models – Activity Complex”

agreed that the implementation of “Generic Activity Complex model” would fit best to a clarification of the procedure of

“Official Decision (formal consent) granting authorization to operate all or part of an Activity Complex”.

So far the benefit of the “Generic Activity Complex model” will hopefully turn out in a longer term.

Best wishes

Heinrich

Facilities & Utilities, Public Services

Facilities & Utilities, Public Services

Covers a broad set of facilities, installations, networks and constructions supporting economic activities and public services