European Commission logo
INSPIRE Community Forum

EMODnet Human Activities Hydrocarbon Extraction

Dear All,

I'm the GIS coordinator of EMODnet Human Activities. Among others we have developed a data theme on offshore hydrocarbon extraction in EU waters consisting of three datasets: boreholes, active licenses and installations (platforms). It is the result of the aggregation and harmonization of datasets provided by several sources from all across the EU (plus Norway). It is updated every year, and is available for viewing and download on EMODnet - Human Activities web portal (www.emodnet-humanactivities.eu). We are working on making our data models fully compliant with INSPIRE data specifications. The data models we created (Hydrocarbon extraction datasets schema.xlsx) a few years ago were based on actual data availability and are slightly different from INSPIRE spatial objects specifications: they include different fields and attributes that are specific to the offshore nature of the activity.

We are aware that each dataset may fall under a distinct INSPIRE thematic cluster (e.g. boreholes under the geology subgroup of earth science cluster, active licenses under Land Use theme  within the INSPIRE Thematic Cluster of Land Cover and Land Use, and installations under INSPIRE Theme Production and Industrial Facilities of Facilities, Utilities and Public Services Cluster), but we thought that maybe thay could fit here as well since they are all specific to the marine environment.

We would like to discuss how we can make our data models more consistent with INSPIRE. We believe this is not a one-way process. We are available to slightly modify our data models, if need be, but at the same time it is clear that the current INSPIRE specifications do not fully cover the data actually available from sector and national sources in this specific activity.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Luigi

• Angel LOPEZ ALOS

By Angel LOPEZ ALOS

Dear Luigi,

I am writing you on respect of the Production and Industrial Facilities Cluster which fully covers your dataset about Offshore Installations. After a quick review of your file, I think you have all the elements to create a thematic compliant data services as you already have in your models all the mandatory elements to be served.  I encourage you to check the "Activity Complex" Base Model and the "Facilities" entity under PF theme.

As far as I can see in EMODNet there are other very interesting data sets that falls under the Facilities and Utilities Cluster. Independently of other answer that you might receive about this, I offer my kindly support as Facilities Cluster Facilitator to follow up your work as a way of  reference/guidelines to be shared here in the platform with others.

This is my draft proposal for linkage:

Field Name Alias Data Type Values Note  
    OBJECTID* Object ID Object ID   Automatically  assigned InspireID
    SHAPE* Geometry Point   Automatically  assigned geometry
    ID ID Text     Thematic Identifier
    COUNTRY Country Text Belgium, Bulgaria, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Ireland, Greece, Spain, France, Croatia, Italy, Cyprus, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Finland, Sweden, United Kingdom, Iceland, Montenegro, Norway   ActivityComplexDecription
    NAME Name Text     description
    LOCATION_BLOCKS Location (blocks) Text      
    LAT Latitude Number (double)     geometry
    LONG Longitude Number (double)     geometry
    WATER_DEPTH Water depth (metres) Number (double)      
    OPERATOR Operator Text     Activity Complex Description - related party
    PRODUCTION_START Year Number (double)      
    CURRENT STATUS Current status Text Closed down
    Decomissioned
    Derogation
    Operational
    Others
      status
    PRIMARY PRODUCTION Primary production Text Condesate
    Gas
    Oil
    Oil and gas
      Function - Output
    CATEGORY Category Text Fixed steel
    Floating concrete
    Floating steel
    Gravity-based concrete
    Others
    Subsea steel

FUNCTION Function Text Above water production
    Above water storage and production
    Others
    Production platform
    Subsea
    Subsea (1 well)
    Subsea (3 well)
    Subsea (5 well)
    Subsea (7 well)
      Function - Output

I am waiting forwards from you.

Thanks a lot and best regards.

Angel.

• LFALCO LFALCO

Dear Angel,

thank you for your quick reply. It's the first time that we start to work following the INSPIRE specifications, it's a great achievement in our EMODnet experience on hydrocarbon extraction theme.
    I have started by checking the Production Facility spatial object type and more in general the "Activity Complex" Base Model. Then,  I need to understand how to proceed to validate the offshore installations dataset, can you please highlight the work flow? as you have written in your proposal, I should delete fields as weigth, remarks and distance to coast. Finally I have to validate somewhere the dataset or post it here?

thank you for your support, kind regards

Luigi

• Stefania MORRONE

By Stefania MORRONE

Hi Luigi,

maybe you already know and it’s just me misunderstanding (if so I apologize in advance smiley): to get an INSPIRE GML dataset you have to transform your source dataset by means of a transformation tool (for example HALE, which is an open source software). While transforming, and also when you finally export to GML format, you already get a validation against the target schema, which in your case is INSPIRE PF application schema. Once you're done with transformation ( i.e. once you have produced the GML dataset) you can have a deeper validation against INSPIRE requirements using the eENVplus Validation Service. There you can also find  “Helpful tips”, links to videotutorials as well as an introduction to INSPIRE validation concept. 

Hope this helps …

Stefania

• LFALCO LFALCO

Hi Stefania,

I was aware of the HALE tool, but not of the deeper validation service. So, thank you for your answer!

More in general, I was wondering if it was possible to have a discussion on the possibility to keep/add our additional fields (water depth, weight sub, weight top, remarks...) in the production facilities/offshore installations data model. This because our sources are already collecting this kind on information. I think that it would be important to keep them on the final harmonized dataset.

Regards

Luigi

• Stefania MORRONE

By Stefania MORRONE

Hi Luigi,

I can see this discussion is already in the ‘Evolution - Thematic extensions’ category, so I guess you already know the only way to keep the richness of your data source semantics would be to create an INSPIRE-extended application schema and add water depth, weight sub, weight top, remarks attributes to PF application schema relevant feature. This approach has been/is being successfully used for other INSPIRE data themes. Follow the links if you are interested in Utilities and Governmental Services or Building extensions examples. 

Stefania 

• Simon TEMPLER

Hi Luigi,

if you are not aware of it yet you might be interested in the currently ongoing study on INSPIRE Data Specification Extensions. Right now you can already find an inventory of existing extensions there that can serve as examples, later on there will be among other things a complete end-to-end tutorial on INSPIRE extensions.

Best,
    Simon

• Keiran MILLARD

By Keiran MILLARD

Hi Luigi et al,

My initial thoughts.  To me this discussion raises two topics of importance to Inspire.   

=Strong Typing v Weak Typing=

Any community can publish their data in a form, structure and encoding that this relevant to them.  However, the more strongly-typed the data model, the harder it is to share this data model with other communities who may not share all the vocabulary that you use.   The balance (in Inspire) is to have data models that carry sufficient information for use by a range of communities who need to use the data.  If only one community needs the information it needs to be questioned why it needs to be part in an Inspire data model.

There are several approaches that can be adopted where your source data model is more strongly-type than the target.

1. Extend the target model.This is only advised if there is a strong use case to do this.Extension elements should also be voidable.As already discussed in the post by Simon Templar, there is a process for doing this.

2. Weaken the source model.This is typically done by mapping specific attributes to general purpose attributes.The data is not lost, but it is aggregated. Works well if you have additional data that you don’t want to lose, but there is no strong use case for it either.

3. Where the data is very different, maintain data in its native form (for download) as well as Inspire compliant view and download.The Inspire download service can link to the native download.This works especially well where there are established processing services for the native data format.

=Common Patterns and Definitions=

If you don't follow common patterns in your community, then you also may not be able to share it with others.  In the context of this dataset for offshore installations, we have a simple data model which is effectively a single-point geometry with lots of attributes to define its semantics.  So, there is clearly a lot of benefits of mapping this to Inspire data models so that this data set can benefit from the services that work against the core Inspire data model (in the core Inspire data model, ID, geometry and names are all key).

The issue seems to be the specific attributes like water depth, weight sub, weight top and remarks that you refer too.  Weight Sub and Weight Top seem very specific, but Water Depth is covered elsewhere is Inspire.  Taking Water Depth further, what do you mean by ‘water depth’?  I know that the depth of the water in the Bristol Channel, UK varies by 14m with the tidal cycle smiley.  So water depth is meant here?   Mean Sea Level / MHWS is used in Inspire for coastline definition.  Hence the importance for accurately defining what is meant.  Inspire wouldn’t normally include water depth in this data set as it can be derived from the intersection of this dataset with an Elevation data set.

How a process operate: The data set contains a lot of attributes about how a process operates (like OPERATOR, PRODUCTION_START , CURRENT STATUS, PRIMARY PRODUCTION, CATEGORY , FUNCTION).  I don’t know the Utility and Government Services specification well, but I know that this is addressed in the EMF specification (what is being measured, who is doing it etc.)

• Keiran MILLARD

By Keiran MILLARD

Hi Luigi,

I would like to draw some conclusions from this thread as it is very relevant to the other Inspire themes - and also to the approaches in EMODNet for wider interoperability.  I plan to present some of the conclusions at the Inspire conference in Barcelona, and it would be good to get your input (and the wider EMODNet Human Activities cluster) in doing this.  Do you have some time over the next few weeks to do this?

Keiran

• LFALCO LFALCO

Hi Keiran,

since my last post in this topic we have studied the appropriate INSPIRE data model for each EMODnet Human Activities dataset, (including the possibility to extend the target model), we have setted the people in charge of it in our consortium, but since our contract is ending in September we are waiting the results of the new tender.

In the next phase of EMODnet, if we will be awarned, the ISPIRE compliance will be one of our priority for sharing Human Activities data. Probably the best solution would be sharing data in EMODnet data model and additionally sharing same data in INSPIRE data model.

Best,

Luigi

This discussion is closed.

This discussion is closed and is not accepting new comments.

Marine & Atmosphere

Marine & Atmosphere

Oceanographic Geographical Features, Sea Regions, Atmospheric Conditions and Meteorological Geographical Features