European Commission logo
INSPIRE Community Forum

how many names for MaritimeZone?

Dominique LAURENT
By Dominique LAURENT Replies (4)

In INSPIRE data model, feature type MaritimeZone has an attribute "name" with multiplicity [0..*] whereas the narrative description explains that "In some specific cases a maritime zone may be known under a specific unique geographical name."

This looks unconsistent. To be clarified.

• Keiran MILLARD

By Keiran MILLARD

The [0..*] multiplicity was added to manage disputes for the name of a maritime zone.  This is different from the same name, but with different spellings (which the geographicName FT already manages).  There are disputes across Europe for some maritime boundaries; typically the geometry of the boundary is not disputed, but who owns the maritime zone (and therefore what it is called) is disputed.  Hence Inspire allows for multiple names to acknowledge this.

Now in practice, I don't think multiple names will ever be needed.  A MS in dispute with another about ownership of a maritime zone is likely only to publish their dataset with the unique name they recognise!

Keiran

• Simon DUQUENOY

By Simon DUQUENOY

The Multiplicity is also required to manage names in different languages such as English and Welsh as an example.

Simon

• Keiran MILLARD

By Keiran MILLARD

I am not sure if this is already covered by the geographicName FT?  I would be if it is a simple case of different  Welsh/English name for the same body of water.

Keiran

• Simon DUQUENOY

By Simon DUQUENOY

From what I can see geographicName does cover language qualifiers but on separate name entries so you would have to have multiple name entries with separate language qualifiers. We do have sea areas named in Welsh and English