European Commission logo
INSPIRE Community Forum

Example - ICGC DTM to INSPIRE ElevationGridCoverage

• Emmanuel DEVYS
    Emmanuel DEVYS

Dear Jordi

I found some issues in the example you provided:

- the xsi:schemaLocation is not provided

- the order of the rangeSet and rangeType (for the ElevationCoverage is erroneous: rangeSet must be first.

- in the rangeSet, the aim is to document the values (either with a URI, or an external file, in this context). Not to document the type / uom of the values, which is the aim of rangeType.

- gml:fileReference should be of type anyURI, and does not allow xlink:href (to my knowledge).

I am about to upload a "quickly corrected example" which validates with schemas (I based on the latest available 4.0 schema for EL, but you may change to the version 3). Sorry if resources identified in my example are erroneous, I tried to propose some corrections quickly, without fully ensuring full consistency.

Hoping this helps

Emmanuel

• Jordi ESCRIU
    Jordi ESCRIU

Dear Emmanuel,

Thank you for your input - As you probably noticed I am a "coverage dummy", like many other implementers.

I have just started to analyse the related standards and trying to edit an example (based on the one from Julian) to check with the others.

- xsi:schemaLocation - Yes, I remove it by error. I was removing other schema namespaces which were no used in the example.

- Thank you for spotting the order issue. I revised the gmlcov schemas  v1.0.2 and the order of elements shall be: 'domainSet', 'rangeSet', 'coverageFunction', 'rangeType' and 'metadata'.

- I agree with you that the aim of rangeType is exactly to describe the range set values (uom, type of variable, nul values utilized, etc.). But the element "rangeParameters" (as proposed in OGC 07-036 GML for the 'gml:File' and 'gml:DataBlock' elements is also intended to describe the variable - maybe in a more generic way - See examples in pages 208, 208-209, 210 and 211 of OGC 07-036).

- I also agree with you that gml:fileReference should be of type anyURI, If the value of the property is encoded inline as simple content for such element. But according section 8.1 of OGC 07-036, "GML property elements (see 7.2.3) may carry Xlink attributes" to support the encoding of the value by reference - using the href attribute concretely in this case.

Happy to discuss with you about this.

Jordi

• Emmanuel DEVYS
    Emmanuel DEVYS

Dear Jordi

thanks for your comments and answer.

On your item 3 (rangeType and rangeParameters descriptions), I guess this must be discussed by INSPIRE experts. My humble recommendation (as a Coverage-initiated person) is to describe according to the reference/applicable Coverage schema (so if my understanding is correct on the basis of GMLCOV), so subsequently the rangeType element. One key reason is that coverage data are supposed to be handled by a WCS2.0-based download-service, which also relies on GMLCOV schema and provision of coverage to a GetCoverage request. I am not aware whether there are additional INSPIRE requirements on documenting Coverage features via the rangeParameters element. If so, there would be some redundancy, which should be minimized and INSPIRE should then provide guidance on this.

Of course, in any case, example must validate with the applicable INSPIRE-EL schema.

Wishing you a fruitful workshop this week, hoping that one result will be clarification on these rules with a valid example.

Best regards

Emmanuel

• Jordi ESCRIU
    Jordi ESCRIU

Dear Emmanuel,

I agree with you that the basis shall be GMLCOV (bulit on top of GML) - Just tried to get a common understanding on how the GML components should be used (e.g. understand the same when reading the applicable standards).

Thank you very for your useful input - We will inform you about the outcomes from discussions in Barcelona.

My aim is to grt the valid examples you mentioned.

Regards,

Jordi

Elevation, Ortho & Grids

Elevation, Ortho & Grids

INSPIRE Thematic Cluster Elevation, Orthoimagery, Reference systems, Geographical grids - Join this group to share your knowkledge, learn and collaborate in solving issues related to the Elevation, Orthoimagery, Reference systems and Geographical grids themes